Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences between the 39A and 39M mountie models?
Is there anything that makes them distinct from each other?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's kinda what I'm seeing , it seems the 39A mountie has a straight stock and rounded lever, while the 39M mountie has a straight stock and square lever, and the 39D 20" has a pistol grip stock and rounded pistol lever.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Straight stock differences...

Generally, I think at one time or another most folks would call all of the straight stock 39A's a "Mountie", whether purely a "Mountie", 39M or CL. There were a fair number of changes to mountie's over the years. I've found lots of entertainment learning about my Marlins, and learn something new... quite often. So, summarizing what I've gleaned from other threads here and at RFC, from Brophy, and a little personal observation:

Straight stock 39A introduced in 1953, pictured (and apparently produced) with a 24" barrel (but described as 20"). In 1954 they were 20" barrels.

In 1957 the "Golden" was introduced, and the straight stock 20" barrel 39A's were "Golden 39A Mountie". The "Golden" was dropped in 1964 according to Brophy but then I've seen a 1965 (AA) with a "Golden 39A Mountie" mark.

The 1969 catalog was the last that showed a "39A Mountie".

Though not in the catalog, in 1970 a very small number of "Model 39M" rollmarked 'mounties' were produced, still with rounded finger lever.

In 1970 the Century Limited's appeared, and in '71 the Article II, all with octagonal barrels and square levers.

The Golden returned in the 1972 catalogs, but now as the "39M" rather than Mountie. Those "Golden 39M" 'mounties' showed round finger-levers, new folding buckhorn rear sights but the earlier round front sight hoods. In 1973 they got the new wide-scan front sight hoods (oddly still pictured with a round finger-lever on the 39M, but the square lever on the rare '73 only "39M Octagon"). From 1974 on the 39M 'mounties' are shown with the square levers.

The gas escape hole appeared on the upper left side of the receiver in 1979, and the inspection hole for cartridge(s) in the magazine appeared in 1987.

The last catalog offering the "Golden 39M" was 1987, and in 1988 the 39TDS, a straight stock with a 16 1/2" barrel, appeared. In 1988 the "S" designation appeared in conjunction with the new safeties. The 39TDS remained in the catalogs through 1995.

The final bits of trivia are that from '58 on hammer extension spurs were included, and in the early or mid-'70's the 'JM' hammer spur extensions gave way to similar spurs in varying (evolving?) styles. Brophy says that Marlin replaced the steel 3/8" scope mount with the newly developed weaver-like double dovetail mount in 1972, but catalogs seem to show the steel mount as late as '75.

There are mentions of a bunch of exceptions; someone with more information will chime in if I'm off very far, and I'll learn some more.

TMI?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Air tool,

Now your our going to make me have to look at mine. I've had it for a bunch of years and it was fairly old when I bought it. The original owner used to to shoot rabbits outside of Wichita Kansas back in the 50's. It was a social thing to do at the time, he wasn't a hunter.

I have it loaded all the time for when a coyote crosses my place. It's taken care of it but it's far from a safe queen. I've never tried to date it but after reading what you said I'm thinking I need to see what I've got.

Thanks for the history lesson. :top:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is my 1976 Golden Mountie, bought last year for $375.00.The same gent sold me his 1986 M1894 .44 for $300.00.
I usually don't have that kind of luck and was worried I would get hit by a car or something afterwards.:bike:

View attachment 679777
I'm glad someone said the difference between the 39a and a mountie. I picked up a 1953 39a and it came with a straight stock and a curved straight lever. Didn't know which model I had all the numbers match until I saw this post.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
This helped to determine that a relative's rifle is a 1955 mountie. It is not in very good condition, but at least I know what it is now.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Generally, I think at one time or another most folks would call all of the straight stock 39A's a "Mountie", whether purely a "Mountie", 39M or CL. There were a fair number of changes to mountie's over the years. I've found lots of entertainment learning about my Marlins, and learn something new... quite often. So, summarizing what I've gleaned from other threads here and at RFC, from Brophy, and a little personal observation:

Straight stock 39A introduced in 1953, pictured (and apparently produced) with a 24" barrel (but described as 20"). In 1954 they were 20" barrels.

In 1957 the "Golden" was introduced, and the straight stock 20" barrel 39A's were "Golden 39A Mountie". The "Golden" was dropped in 1964 according to Brophy but then I've seen a 1965 (AA) with a "Golden 39A Mountie" mark.

The 1969 catalog was the last that showed a "39A Mountie".

Though not in the catalog, in 1970 a very small number of "Model 39M" rollmarked 'mounties' were produced, still with rounded finger lever.

In 1970 the Century Limited's appeared, and in '71 the Article II, all with octagonal barrels and square levers.

The Golden returned in the 1972 catalogs, but now as the "39M" rather than Mountie. Those "Golden 39M" 'mounties' showed round finger-levers, new folding buckhorn rear sights but the earlier round front sight hoods. In 1973 they got the new wide-scan front sight hoods (oddly still pictured with a round finger-lever on the 39M, but the square lever on the rare '73 only "39M Octagon"). From 1974 on the 39M 'mounties' are shown with the square levers.

The gas escape hole appeared on the upper left side of the receiver in 1979, and the inspection hole for cartridge(s) in the magazine appeared in 1987.

The last catalog offering the "Golden 39M" was 1987, and in 1988 the 39TDS, a straight stock with a 16 1/2" barrel, appeared. In 1988 the "S" designation appeared in conjunction with the new safeties. The 39TDS remained in the catalogs through 1995.

The final bits of trivia are that from '58 on hammer extension spurs were included, and in the early or mid-'70's the 'JM' hammer spur extensions gave way to similar spurs in varying (evolving?) styles. Brophy says that Marlin replaced the steel 3/8" scope mount with the newly developed weaver-like double dovetail mount in 1972, but catalogs seem to show the steel mount as late as '75.

There are mentions of a bunch of exceptions; someone with more information will chime in if I'm off very far, and I'll learn some more.

TMI?[/airtool covered it very well, the 39 carbine was also made during the sixtys but don't know if it fits in the Mountie category.
When they changed from the 39a to the golden they added the gold trigger and barrel scroll. I have a 57 mountie that says 39a and has the blued trigger but most 57s have the golden markings.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My ‘72 39m has the square lever so they were making them in 72 with the square leavers. I prefer the rounded lever myself. With my big paws the rounded fits me better. Probably why I bought a ‘54 Mountie with Ballard rifling for my shooter. The ‘72 hasn’t been shot by me yet, same with my 39CL. However I really like the CL and it will be shot. I’ve been thinking about getting a brass skinner sight to put on it.

·
Premium Member
6,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Pennsylvania!!! You have a Great Marlin .22 there and
good history with it!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts