Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned before, I recently purchased a 30/30 336C and will be enjoying it as soon as the weather gets better here in Jersey. This is going to be my “carry around” do everything gun. So I want to get as accurate as possible with it. I purchased some 150gr hollow points to practice with, it seems to be lowest grain I can find (a friend did ‘reload” some 70gr for me to try). But due to the cost of the ammo, I won’t be using it as much as I’d like at the range.
I noticed that Marlin has that “Golden 39A” 22, which is very similar to the 336 and was wondering if I could use it as a (less expensive) practice substitute for the 30/30 cal. ? Right now I’ve been using an old Marlin bolt action 22 on the weekends.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have both a 1976 336C .30-30 and a 1974 39A. They feel a lot alike. I got them both new. They certainly do compliment each other.

I don't get the opportunity to shoot either one enough now to give you a definitive answer. :(

The 39A has a heavy 24" barrell, and this helps adjust the feel towards the 336C in spite of the fact that the 39A is a pound lighter.

Now that I've got a range set up, I plan to do a lot of practice with my 39A, in hopes it'll help out the 336C. I don't think you'll be able to depend on the 39A exclusively to improve your results with the 336C, but I'm planning to do about 10:1/39A:336C quite a bit between now and bear/deer season. I'm also practicing holding both rifles steady aiming at objects off-hand, unloaded.

I'm sure someone else here has more experience and expertise, and should be capable of giving you a better answer. :wink:

I used to do a lot of hunting when I was a kid, but haven't shot a whole lot in the past twenty years or so. :oops: Now that my kids are of age to begin serious gun safety/use training, I've really got shooting/hunting fever. And Marlinitis of course. :lol:

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Getting the 39A as an "understudy" rifle is an excellent strategy, especially if you have the same type of sights on both rifles. If you don't reload this is the way to go. But the real value of this approach rests in doing a lot of shooting with the .22LR.

If you are only going to shot a box of .22LR every other month you may not see a big advantage. In fact, for the price of a new 39A you can buy enough 30-30 ammo to shoot a box of that every other month for the next five or six years. But if you can shoot the .22LR a great deal it will pay off in improved marksmanship that will carry over to the deer rifle. Under that system you can probably get away with a couple of boxes of 30-30 ammo per year: one box to sight in/practice prior to the season, and one box for actual hunting.

Keep your empty 30-30 cases no matter what you do. You just might decide to reload and your saved cases from factory ammo will be a good place to start.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Howie38:

That's one of the reasons that I'm seriously considering the purchase of a 39A. I think that's a great idea as long as you shoot the 39 very regularly. :)

Range Finder
P.S. Defcon 9 where did you get that avatar and how do I get one? Thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well, to get that one, move your cursor over it, right click, then click save image as... This will copy that animated gif to your hard drive.

I didn't save the links to the pages from which I collected the animated .gifs I have. I used the keywords; animated gif jet ; on a google search. If you'd like, PM me your EM and I'll EM you all my aircraft animated gifs.

I have a really nice F-16, but it's too big to use as an avatar on this site.

There's a nice F-4U as well.

Sorry I don't have those links, I just didn't see them as necessary to save at the time, as I was saving the images themselves.

G

·
I've heard it said that practicing with the .22 LR is a cheaper way to perfection in shooting, than shooting the 336A ammo. Know what? It's just plain fun shooting the .22 LR or the .22 magnums. I would do it even if I didn't have a Big Bore or a 336A. Lever guns are just pure fun. And...I shoot the Ruger Single Six .22LR/22 magnum as well, for the same reasons. If I didn't have a .44mag, .357 mag, or 480 Ruger, I'd still shoot the Single Six...just in case I could someday get one or another of them! :) It's a good selling point to the wife on why you need both. <grin>

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advise every one. I think that’s what I’ll do and retire the old Marlin 80-DL. Or (should I say)semi-retire. You never really do stop play’in with them completely.

And don’t worry W Stillhunter, I get to the range every weekend (weather permitting). I usually pop off about 200-300 rounds of 22lr each visit. Especially if I’m using the metal targets. I just love that plinking sound. :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
336A/39A

I bought a 336A (24" barrel) in the early 80's for Deer hunting and plinking. I found out early that plinking with a 30-30 bruses my shoulder and wallet. About a year later I bought a 39A Original Golden for plinking. With less than 1/2 pound difference, the feel and sights are too close to call. I shoot 3 or 4 hundred rounds a week through the 39A and when it comes to hunting season, both go with me. The 39A for grouse and the 30-30 for deer or whatever. The only difference to me is the attention the 30-30 demands when I touch one off. I love them both.

My next Marlin will ge the 45/70 22" barrel when I find a good used one.

dean

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Just something to chew on.....

Sight picture is pretty much the same- cottontail at 25 yds, whitetailed deer at 75-100 yds. It really ain't that complicated. The key is to have the same sighting set up on the .22 as the 336.... if this means scopes, by all means use the same model and reticle of scope on both rifles. If your eyes are young enough to get away with the irons, make sure both rifles have the same irons set. Small game with the .22 is a great conditioner for deer season rolling around...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
You are at your best when shooting as many rounds as possible. I think maybe that as a kid shooting BB and pellet rifles, thousands of rounds a month (BB range in basement.....all ammo recovered and reused over and over....think about it), that's probably the best I've ever shot. If it's not automatic, it's not working for ya (I've yet to recover that Zen aura with long gun.....I've come close a couple times with the Single Six, but it won't stay with me yet........Thousands and thousands...(Please, don't throw me in that briar patch :lol: )

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to close this thread.....

I just picked up my "Golden" 39A. Man what a beautiful rifle. The pictures don't do it justice. :D

Now if the weather (here in Jersey) will get better, I’ll try it out. :(

Thanks, everyone :wink:

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm sure you're going to be very happy with your beautiful new friend! :D

I'm finishing up the fine tuning on my 336C(having recently picked it back up), and when that's done, I'm going to be putting alot of lead through my 39A. This should get me ready for this year's hunting season. 8)

·
Registered
252 Posts
My only recommendation is to set it up just like your 336. Same sights, same sling, etc.

I have a Henry .22 that is set up just like my Winchester 1894. Just need a peep sight for it.

It's all about muscle memory.

Enjoy!

Mario

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I have a couple of Mounties and find their use helps me with the slightly bigger brothers. For years I have used a target grade airgun to tune up for the hunt. I have both scope and target receiver sights so can go either way. The big plus is that I can get 10 meters (std. airgun distance) in my garage and can do the practice without leaving the house. The airgun trigger is so much better than my hunting rifles that it would seem to negate some of the benefit, but it seems that trigger time is the kicker. Shoot a lot and reap the benefits. Enjoy Jack

·
Registered
96 Posts
"but it seems that trigger time is the kicker..."

Yup!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts