Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the various models of 39's (or any other Marlins) that exist how much variation of figure do you think is normal between the butt and forend? Obviously there will be some knots, grain changes, and other natural color changes in the wood, but is there something that raises a flag in your mind? I'm not talking to much about finish since that can be a little more easily observed by looking at the DOM and figuring out what finish it should have. Say for example a normal butt stock and a different looking forend, or visa versa that was an after market replacement? Thanks.

Todd

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The difference can be pretty extreme, on an unaltered Marlin factory gun dating from 70's and newer it seems, either in the degree of figure, or the actual color of the wood...dark, medium or even light heartwood. So mismatched wood is not an automatic indicator of stock replacement for more recent guns. I have relatively recent production guns with one part being much more figured than the other. The older guns, when built, the stock sets were closely matched and serialed to the gun, and a mismatch here is a sign of replacement. Generally, I pass on pieces where one piece is much lighter or darker than the other, just don't care for the look. I have not noticed this on Savage 99's, with a mismatch being a solid indicator of a replacement, and again on the older rifles the butt and forearm are serialed to the gun.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Hey Todd,

I would have to agree with the above. All of mine are older models and all of them match pretty closely. Some of the buttstocks have nicer and more figure than the fore ends but match none the less.

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
That was a nice one!! AndI will repeat..... Do not hang out on Gunbroker...... Do not hang out on gunbgroker..... do not......:shot:

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it was, it went up almost $275 in the last 15 mins. IMO the forend was replaced, thoughts?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The older guns, when built, the stock sets were closely matched and serialed to the gun........with a mismatch being a solid indicator of a replacement, and again on the older rifles the butt and forearm are serialed to the gun.
Graymustang - For the older 39a's, I've the serial number stamped into the butt stock; but I've not seen a serial stamped on the underside of a forearm. Granted, I've only checked one forearm ... so my sample size is low; but where are you seeing it stamped? I thought the butt stock was numbered to the gun due to the fitting prior to finishing; but it looks like the forearm is not quite as fitted, so the serial comment peaked my interest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts