Marlin Firearms Forum banner

39 with 20" barrel

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  DenStinett 
#1 ·
Evidence is mounting that 22 LR velocity actually decreases with longer barrels.

Although the 39 is a classic, its long barrel does not fit the classic lines of he 336.

Why has there been no 20" 39?

#5 ·
I love all my 39a rifles but I gotta admit...my 39D is really cool! Nice group of rifles you got there gk2410! Happy shootin!

#10 ·
I've not handled many early 39s, but the lower tang under the lever was one location that the serial was marked. Can get beat up and partly erased with heavy use, may take a magnifier to see. Note that there were changes in the design between a 39 and 39A, some parts don't interchange. If it is indeed that early, it shouldn't be shot with high-speed ammo or the bolt will crack, stick to standard velocity ammo. The design dates back to blackpowder days. If it's in any sort of shape, early 39s can be easily valued in the 4-figure area. Condition is all in that case and firing a good example will decrease the value.

Your number is probably for factory assembly use, may or may not be part of the serial. The receiver is the part that gets the serial and the part that really counts. The wood may be numbered as well in the inletting or under the buttplate.

As always, pictures would help. You might want to start a separate thread rather than adding to this one.

Stan S.

#11 · (Edited)
Can't speak to Volocity, but when it comes to accuracy....
My Winchester 72 Target (with its 25" Barrel) is by far the most accurate Rifle I have ever shot
It will keyhole Shoot after Shoot at 50 yards ( if the "Nut behind the Trigger" is "wired tight" )
Here is a 5 Round Group (of Federal Bulk) the 72 Target put up last year @ 50 yrds and my 58 year old Eyes
The Target is an 8" with 1" Rings.....a 0.75" Group with the Stock Peep Sights

Here's my 22 Long Guns....the Winchester 190, and the 72 along with a Marlin 39 Golden Mountie:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.