Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it be possible to convert a malrin lever action to 17 mach 2 or aguila? I want a gun in this caliber but all the ones comin out are heavy and slow to move from what I have seen.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
marlinman336 said:
would it be possible to convert a malrin lever action to 17 mach 2 or aguila? I want a gun in this caliber but all the ones comin out are heavy and slow to move from what I have seen.
I don't see why not, should just be a rebarrel? I think that in a tubular magazine the nose of the round would get distored though, thereby affecting accuracy. JM uneducated O

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Conversion should indeed be just a rebarrel job. Don't worry about the noses of the bullets. Those jacketed bullets and / or polymer tips are pretty tough. It would certainly make an interesting project. I have a half dozen 17 Aguila rifles and love shooting them. One of the better intermediate- range small game rounds I've shot. ~Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could I have the existing barrel rechambered and sleaved? If not were can I get a barrel to fit and how much if anyone knows.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
marlinman336 said:
Could I have the existing barrel rechambered and sleaved? If not were can I get a barrel to fit and how much if anyone knows.
Probably cheaper to buy a new barrel, but yeas that would/should work.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Yes, Brownells carries the sleeves and the reamers for this job. With the minor recoil, the bullet tips should not distort in a tubular magazine.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yes. You could install a liner quite easily -at home if you wished. The reamer is $80 . The liner and barrel drill would total another $125. The process is done with a variable speed hand drill, some Brownell's Accra Glass, and some patience. www.brownells.com has the goods and info you'd need.

I don't think getting a custom barrel would be cheaper -that's alot of metal to turn off and there's the magazine tube to fit. The results might be better, but then you never know. I've used Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co blanks for my 17 Aguilas with great success. ~Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts