Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys,
I got one of the Mod 39AWL a few years ago, to hold onto and sell later when the price went up on them. well the price really hasnt done any thing and from what I hear, some rifles are selling for less than what they cost in the first place. This gun has come close to getting shot several times, but I always wipe the drool off and put it away. I figure if it isnt gonna be worth much in my life time I might as well shoot it and enjoy it. And 50 years from now when it is worth some thing my kids can figure out what they want to do with it. Whats the thoughts?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I buy them to shoot and enjoy.. Like buying a car with cloth interior and then putting on plastic covers to protect it.. NOT>. enjoy it while you can..

·
Registered
187 Posts
Why not shoot it. Guns are made to be shot...not sold. If you want to buy somthing only to sell it for a profit...try the stock market LOL. All joking aside, i think you can shoot it all you want, i would think the most important thing about value is condition, so just dont beat it up and you should be good to go. The beauty of guns is using them, not looking at them. If i had a gun i knew i would never shoot, i wouldnt have it. By the way, i dont know what model of 39 your talking about, can some one fill me in. I dont think i have seen that one yet.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joe,
The 39AWL (American Wild life) is a limited run Marlin did for Walmart it has the fancy smacny wood, gold inlay designs, and some ingraving. It is the only gun I own that has not been shot, but I dont think for long.

·
Registered
528 Posts
once they have been shot

One thing I never understood when the experts talk about any of the special run guns,most say that once its been shot its worth less than a non comm. field gun.My question is why would it be less than a field gun,it does't make any sense.Isn't it still the same gun as the field gun only with some added features.It seems it should be worth more even used,how could it be worth less.I once saw a beautiful 39Aat a show,all engraved,70% coverage and very nicely done,but not factory done and not signed.yhe guy wanted $450. for it and the best offer he got was $175.All the dealers said it didn't have any value.Of all days to not have $450. with me.I'll bet 70% quallity engraveing would cost a bunchI say shoot it,enjoy it,take care of it...just my oppinion

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Hey don't shoot it send it to me and I will send you a 39A for you to shoot. Would look good next to my 35 ADL and my 1894 Employee edition 44-40 both of which have the gold enlays.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here's a link to one that's for sale, asking price $995. There are good pictures.
http://www.legendaryguns.com/MarlinAmericanWilderness.htm

It's almost too pretty to shoot. Almost.

I say shoot it, enjoy it, and keep the original box and sales receipt in pristine condition. I think they will do more to add to the eventual value than you will lose by shooting it.

Take the kids, grandkids, and any other kids in the family, young or old, and let them shoot it too. They'll always remember shooting such a special rifle with you and it will become a family heirloom so monetary value won't be a concern.

I think that if you only look at a beautiful firearm you miss the most beautiful part of it.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep that would be the one. It will most likely get shot once spring gets here. It sure isnt any fun sitting in the box!

·
Registered
187 Posts
OMG! Thats a fine looking peice if ever there was one! Maybe it should hang on the wall! That may be the finest looking example of a marlin lever gun ive ever seen!

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Hey Big Medicine -

Would your serial number happen to be a consecutive number with either 1999 or 1635? I'm always watching for the 1 in a million chance I can find a consecutive match to one of mine.

Shum8

·
Registered
191 Posts
big medicine

.....Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!!! :D

Here is a pic of my 1897 Century Limited (only shes wearing a Burris Compact 4-12 AO now)

I have to admit that I did have some second thoughts about shooting the gun when I first brought it home.....but that didn't last long. I shoot it often at the range and absolutely love to hunt with it. To me there is absolutely nothing like hunting with a beautiful, high quality gun.

Shoot it.....and enjoy it!

firstshot

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thats it! Thanks Firstshot. It gets shot...I'm thinking that when my 4 year old son is old enough it will make him a nice rifle that he can have his entire life, and maby pass on to his kids. There wont be many like it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
big medicine

I've got an 4 Yr Old son too. Just took him squirrel hunting (with the 1897) for the first time last weekend. We didn't get anything, but he had fun picking out targets for me to shoot.

Yep, It's "Daddy's gun" now but some day it will be his and between now and then we'll be doing a lot of hunting together so that when I do pass it on to him it will be much more than just a gun, it will be life time of memories.

Obviously, I think you made the right choice.

firstshot

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Be careful with her, but heck, take her shootin'! They just don't age right sleeping in the safe all the time.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I don't think I could ever buy a gun solely for financial investment purposes, but that is just me.... I have too much fun shooting them. Got really nothing against those collectors who buy n.i.b. guns and refuse to shoot them-they are doing their thing- preserving history- which I have a healthy respect for. I don't have it in my character to take on a responsibility like that when it comes to guns......

Big Med-

Maybe you would have got some slightly different responses to your question on the collector's page here, or on the MFCA bulletin board...

Good luck with the decision...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On the collectors page a couple of the guys said they had seen some sell for a couple hundred dollars less than they cost new. This is the only NIB gun I have. But it doesnt look like it for long.

It will be a nice rifle for my son.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Big Medicine -

I always try to keep an eye out for a one in a million consecutive numbered AWL to go with mine - would your number next to 1635 or 1999 by chance?

Thanks

Shum8

1 - 20 of 32 Posts