Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Marlin family need a little help with year of manufacturer

first is a S 9XXX and second is a S 10xxx....
thanks...

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
If your rifles are Model 39A, then 1959 is correct.
However, if they are the octagon barrelled Model 39, then they were made in the late 1920s. The S prefix likely was first used in the 1925-26 era, based on serial number ranges for the non and S prefixed rifles. The HS prefix was used beginning in 1932, until the introduction of the model 39A in 1939. Your rifle was likely produced in the late 1920's or 1930, as the highest recorded S numbers are in the 16,000 range. Yours should have the ivory bead front sight and hold open rivet for the new ejector (post 1926 patent) as originally equipped. I presume barrel stamp is Marlin Firearms Corporation and not Marlin-Rockwell!? Also, use ONLY standard velocity ammo in your rifles or you will break the bolt.
shoot straight,
gewehr

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is a 39 no A and has an Oct BBl.... case hardened receiver looking at 2 of them I knew the 1959 was incorrect, I figured it to be somewhere in the 1920's... it has a replaced stock so it lowers the value asking price the fellow is asking is $250 but I think that is a little steep considering it isn't in great shape and the stock has been replaced....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Grab it at $250 I don't feel like you will find another close to that price. Are you lookin for a shooter or a collector piece? I bought a model 39 from the early 20's about a month and a half ago and paid 415$. Just my opinion, but if you can get him lower more power to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.