Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fella's-

I'm stumped on this one, and would like a little input.

The first couple of years I had my '54 "L" 39-A, the trigger was fine. I mounted a Williams peep on the receiver, and now the trigger breaks at about a 29 lb pull weight- it's bad enough to throw my shooting off. I find this a little odd, because the trigger was fine with the old redfield I had on it previously.

I've cleaned, lubed, and checked for broken springs, and for sight mounting screws protruding into the action, and have found nothing wrong....

I don't really want to start stoning the sear/hammer engagement surfaces, especially if I'm missing something else...

The only thought I have is that I had to make a riser block out of aluminum for the redfield to get it centered over the bore- I wonder if I warped the side of the receiver??? :shock:

The trigger broke at a reasonable 4 lbs before the trouble started....

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I would think you'd have to get pretty mean to change the geometry of your frame by simply attaching a riser. You could try putting the hammer & sear into another 39A - that could tell you a lot. Same with putting the parts from another rifle into the one you're having trouble with. Something's binding, though - it'll give me something to think about at work today. (while I'm sitting still, of course!! :D ) SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Have you tried taking the new sight off, and see if it returns to normal? Also check the operation of the trigger and hammer notch, with the gun broken down. You may have created a problem when you disassembled it.
You should be able to watch the hammer and sear operate with the front half removed.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got some time off work this week and will be able to get at that trigger.
I'll update here when I find what's what- too tired to start tonight- just come in off the freezing rain slicked highway, and my hair ( what's left of it ) is still standing straight up. A one hour trip in good driving conditions took me 2 1/2 hrs....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was down to less than 30 at times on a 70 mph highway. We had more of the same yesterday morning, and the T.V. news got some hilarious footage of a Ford Expedition sliding backwards down the highway...no damage or injuries in that one...

Got the "L" stripped down to an empty frame last night. Found a fairly large burr on the edge of the full cock step. Likely scenario is a filing got in there from the threaded sight mount holes- the plug screws had never been out for almost 50 years. Coulda been a filing left in the hole when the threads were originally cut.... Also, the trigger pivot screw is badly scored on the bearing surface where the trigger rides. Pivot surface in the trigger hole looks clean through my +1.5 bi-focals....

Got her cleaned up, and did a slight amount of polishing with #800 wet/dry paper. It feels a little better now- kinda hard to tell with my thumb under the hammer. I'll get out Friday for a live test session and see what happens.

Is there any reference around for lightening trigger pull on these rifles? If I have to do some more work, I'd like to keep surface angles correct etc....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
496 Posts
My gunsmith lightend the trigger on my Model 39A. Said they are easy to work on. Must be as he did an outstanding job on mine. He also got rid of the rebounding hammer feature on mine. Parley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts