Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 39 A Golden with a 20 inch barrel and pistol grip stock. The gun is in excellent condition and shoot great. How rare is this gun and what is it worth? The rifle it is just like a full size 39 A except for the short barrel. It was made in 1978. OBTW the barrel is not marked as a Take Down.

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
What does it say on the barrel. The barrel could have been replayed or a replacement stock. I thought the 39 Carbine and Mountie were the only ones made with a 20" barrel but they made these for a lot of years and models and I know very little. Someone may come along with more knowledge while you are getting us some pictures. :)

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
If barrel is marked 39a and was made in 1978 it has been shortened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry but I can not figure out how to load pics on this forum. The barrel marking are the same as the full size 39A, No Mountie, NO Take down etc. Just the standard marking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If someone cut the barrel down they went to a lot of work. My gunsmith said the crown was exactly like the factory, the magazine holder would have to be recut into the barrel, the magazine would have to been shortened.......... Seem like a lot of work and $$ to me.

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
Well it will be hard to solve by people here if you can't post picture or even type the words on the barrel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Barrel marking reads:

The Marlin Firearms Co. North Haven, Conn. USA
Cal. 22 S,L,&LR. MICRO-GROOVE BARREL ORIGINAL GOLDEN - 39 A JM inside a circle.

As I said,,, just like a standard 39A. Sorry about the pics but I did not find any instructions as how to load. If you can send me your email I''' gladly forward you photos.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 39 A Golden with a 20 inch barrel and pistol grip stock. The gun is in excellent condition and shoot great. How rare is this gun and what is it worth? The rifle it is just like a full size 39 A except for the short barrel. It was made in 1978. OBTW the barrel is not marked as a Take Down.
How sure are you of the year of manufacture? 1970-71 they manufactured exactly what you are describing as the 39 D. If the gun has spacer and cap on the pistol grip, I would be interested in buying it regardless of year of manufacture.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Could somone have mixed two 39s? Is there a straight stock long barrel "Mountie" out there???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts