Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am looking to add a 39A takedown circa early 40s to my collection. Anything to worry about, or look for. The furniture looks to be very good and the barrel has a brown patina. Not buying to be a collectors item, I intend to shoot it. Any ideas on value 300.00 400.00 500.00 or more or less
Thanks Dave

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Just my 2 cents! If it is in the shape you describe, I'd jump all over it for anything 500 or less:biggrin: A lot of that is because I was born in the early 40s! John

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
agree anything good shape and under $500.00 for a 39A is a decent deal

Reactions: wannaBelkhuntin

·
Registered
969 Posts
Saw a 39 A today in Tulsa at the Metcalf gun show. Asking was $550. Problem was that the stock had an uneven finish to it. Some high gloss and other areas seemed much duller. The biggest drawback was that the line of sight down the comb was 10* off the line of sight looking down the fore and aft sights. I passed without a bid.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saw a 39 A today in Tulsa at the Metcalf gun show. Asking was $550. Problem was that the stock had an uneven finish to it. Some high gloss and other areas seemed much duller. The biggest drawback was that the line of sight down the comb was 10* off the line of sight looking down the fore and aft sights. I passed without a bid.....
I am guessing this is a new Remlin ?

Well it looks like I am the proud owner of an early 40s 39A. Now if I can finalize the deal on the 444 I found, dang debit card is smoking now.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Well a Big Congrats to you! :congrats:.................. Don't forget some pics :biggrin:

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2855699_01_marlin_model_39a_lever_action__640.jpg
The latest addition to the gang. It also comes with a vintage Weaver scope. What do you think ? Maybe the red & black [applejack] laminate stocks for this old girl to? Just kidding this one will stay original. Well how about maybe getting a new blueing job? I paid 375.00 plus shipping for her
What is a good product to strip the finish with ? Now if I could only find some 22 shells.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the gun finally arrived today. The sn is c 113, as near as I can tell the lower case c makes it a 1946. The furniture has been stripped of any finish and looks to be very nice. It has a barrel side mounted scope base. The old Weaver scope is a little rough, the crosshairs are not in the center of the scope. But I also received a Simmons 3x9 with the gun, also my LGS gave me another free Weaver scope side mount/rings.
Any info that you can pass along to me on this old classic would be great. How about a parts breakdown or videos on taking this apart to clean it. The gun is filthy right now. I think I am going to finish stripping the furniture and oil it up nicely. I think I will get the metal done with Duracoat also.
Anybody have a rear sight for this old girl ? Is the receiver case hardened, it seems to be exceptionally nice looking. Maybe being a takedown version it had to be case hardened ?

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Congratulations to you on your new 39a. Nice looking rifle. Thanks for sharing with us. Nice picture too.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts