Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1894c that I'm going to get out of lay-a-way soon. I was wondering what type of factory ammo in 38 specials to use. I don't want a under powered load to damage my rifle barrel.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You shouldnt have to worry about an under powered load damaging the barrel. A lot of folks shoot reduced loads in their rifles. Any factory 38 spl, or 357 mag should do just fine. I shoot all hand loads in mine and usually shoot a 358 gr JHP load. I think you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What big medicine says is true. I've run a potpourri of factory .38 Special and .357 Magnum loads through my 1894C, and haven't had any problems. I do stay away from cheap, lead-bullet, remanufactured .38 Special loads though... filthy stuff.

I get remarkably good results with inexpensive 158 gr SJSP.357s from Magtech - and the recoil isn't a problem with them - so I don't shoot very much .38 Special ammo anymore.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, thats a load off my mind. I've been looking for a dual purpose rifle. From what I have read this should do the job from Whitetials on down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 1894C works fine with whatever it's fed, but I've had it for less than a year. I'm more familiar with a .357 revolver. Firing a few boxes of .38 Spl. would leave a 'lead ring' in the cylinder which was a pain to remove. If it wasn't scrubbed out, .357's didn't fully seat in the cylinder. I eventually reloaded everything in .357 cases to eliminate the problem but I don't reload anymore.

Will 'DAD' and I have a problem with chambering .357's after firing .38 Spl in our Marlins? Does the shorter .38 case foul the chamber of the Marlin or is the chamber large enough that some fouling is irrelevant?

Thanks,

Jim H

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have shot 38 spl and then shot 357 mag right afterwards and not had problems. I shot all jacketed stuff though. I dont know if you would have a problem shooting lead then trying 357s. As long as they were clean loads I wouldnt think you would have a problem.

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
If you run 38s first and then some plated .357s any carbon residue has a chance of being imbedded in the chamber. I used to shoot both through my CB but after cleaning the crud out a few times, I decided that all .357s in a 357 was what I was going with and forgoe the chance of damaging my rifle in any way. Just a thought if you want to shoot 38s get a .38CBC, it's is made for it. Else don't mix them on the same day, clean before shooting the .357s.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
You can also just load 38 Spcl velocities in 357 cases - good, low recoil plinking and no chance of ringing the chamber. Just make sure you properly identify the reduced loads so you don't take them on a hunt......

Shum8

G

·
Stay away from those .38 wadcutter loads. I tried some and they jammed so bad I had to tear the rifle apart to get it unjammed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
swany said:
If you run 38s first and then some plated .357s any carbon residue has a chance of being imbedded in the chamber. I used to shoot both through my CB but after cleaning the crud out a few times, I decided that all .357s in a 357 was what I was going with and forgoe the chance of damaging my rifle in any way. Just a thought if you want to shoot 38s get a .38CBC, it's is made for it. Else don't mix them on the same day, clean before shooting the .357s.
I am getting nervous I may have done exactly this. I got my 1894c last week, shot about 45 .38 Special reloads (158 gr FMJFP), followed by around 30 .357 SP. I cleaned today and there is a distinct "ring" about 1-2" from the rear end of the barrel that does not out with a brass brush. Is this the carbon ring described above? If so, is there any way to get rid of it or have I done something really bad?

Sorry if this is a little naive, but this is my first centerfire rifle.

By the way, I had no trouble chambering the .357's and I think I'll stay with them from now on.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hoppes Number 9 Powder Solvent. Soak a patch in this solution and then place it in the chamber of the rifle and let it sit like this for a few hours. Then soak another patch and let it sit again, maybe overnight. Try scrubbing with the cupper (brass) brush now. It should come of. If not, keep repeating the soaking steps till it is removed.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
14 Posts
the_mad_rshn said:
Hoppes Number 9 Powder Solvent. Soak a patch in this solution and then place it in the chamber of the rifle and let it sit like this for a few hours. Then soak another patch and let it sit again, maybe overnight. Try scrubbing with the cupper (brass) brush now. It should come of. If not, keep repeating the soaking steps till it is removed.

Cheers,
Mad
Mad:

Thanks, I'll try that.

By the way, should the barrel normally be completly free of any "rings" or can you normally see something that marks the end of the chamber when you look down the barrel from the rear?

Again, sorry if this is naive... I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Snake Guy said:
By the way, should the barrel normally be completely free of any "rings" or can you normally see something that marks the end of the chamber when you look down the barrel from the rear?

Again, sorry if this is naive... I really appreciate the help!
First of all, do not be sorry. We all were there at some point. I am relatively new with Marlins too. Just a bit over a year.
Anyhow. You can see a black ring all the way where the chamber ends, but only when it is dark. If you point a flash-light or another source of light inside the chamber you should see nothing, but a bright, reflective surface. If there is any darkness on the chamber surface than it is most likely dirt of some sort (gun powder residue, etc...)

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
244 Posts
For what's it's worth I've never gotten all of the ring out of any chamber . No matter what I've tried. So I clean the gun as good as reasonable and shoot some more. Never had any problems that I was aware of.............Mutt

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Mutt said:
For what's it's worth I've never gotten all of the ring out of any chamber . No matter what I've tried. So I clean the gun as good as reasonable and shoot some more. Never had any problems that I was aware of.............Mutt
Thanks, mutt.

I guess I stand corrected.
If your 1894 had 38 Spl shot a lot out of it and possibly was not cleaned well after each time, then you can get some permanent black ring in the chamber. Just like I have stuff on my stainless Super Blackhawk. The black stains could not be removed unless I use some really hard chemicals.
But again. In this case these are just stains (coloring) and nothing else.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
47 Posts
Stay away from those .38 wadcutter loads. I tried some and they jammed so bad I had to tear the rifle apart to get it unjammed.
That's CORRECT!!

The Marlins will function with .38 Special ammunition that is loaded to a length approaching the overall length of a .38 Spec 158gr round nosed cartridge.
Shooting short ammo will jam a Marlin up TIGHT!

·
Registered
14 Posts
the_mad_rshn said:
[
First of all, do not be sorry. We all were there at some point. I am relatively new with Marlins too. Just a bit over a year.
Anyhow. You can see a black ring all the way where the chamber ends, but only when it is dark. If you point a flash-light or another source of light inside the chamber you should see nothing, but a bright, reflective surface. If there is any darkness on the chamber surface than it is most likely dirt of some sort (gun powder residue, etc...)

Cheers,
Mad
Mad:

Thanks for making me feel better. The 1894 is going into my local gunsmith for a trigger job this week and I am sure he'll tell me what I am looking at when I see the ring in the barrel. I really like this new gun-it will get me back into reloading after many years shooting mainly .22's

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Have lots of fun with it. I just got my 1894 CB in the same caliber and I am loving it :-D Let us know what your gunsmith thinks about the ring.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
22 Posts
the_mad_rshn said:
Have lots of fun with it. I just got my 1894 CB in the same caliber and I am loving it :-D Let us know what your gunsmith thinks about the ring.

Cheers,
Mad
So you are saying that if I clean it out with say a bore snake frequently it should be ok to shoot 38's through it? :?:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Four Eyed Floyd said:
the_mad_rshn said:

Cheers,
Mad
So you are saying that if I clean it out with say a bore snake frequently it should be ok to shoot 38's through it? :?:
Yes. You will be fine. I shoot 38 just fine through mine. Just make sure you do not let the burnt leftovers collect in the chamber.

Cheers,
Mad

1 - 20 of 22 Posts