Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if anyone here has used Hi Skor 700X or Red Dot for .38 special reloading with 158gr. LSWC bullets at 750 to 850 fps. Have a pound of each and wondered if they would make good plinking loads. Thanks for any information you can give.

·
Super Moderator
14,106 Posts
I have used 700x many times with great results for 38 special,9mm luger and even 357 magnum. There is plenty of printed data for it also. I know the Lee book list it a lot as does Hodgdon online load data site. If I remember right it can be a little dirty with light loads but that's is no big deal it will clean up easy enough.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Golphin, Travlin and bayjoe for the info. Bought these powders during the Great Powder Depression a few years ago and had only used a small amount testing a few .32ACP loads. I had never reloaded .38 but the .357 is rough on the arthritic fingers and hoped to use these powders up on .38 special. Looks like they should work well. Thanks again. loner51

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've used 700x with good results shooting Speer 148 gr. HBWCs, other than it being dirty. It left my revolver really nasty. I haven't used Red Dot, and use W-W 231 which shoots cleaner then 700x or Bullseye for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks L Pete and OLSKOOL for the input. I have Unique, Bullseye, IMR 4227 and HP38. It seems all would work well for .38 Special. Just trying to use up the 700x & Red Dot on some plinking ammo. Everyone seems to agree that 700X is dirty so I guess I will just have to clean a lot. Thanks again to all who replied to my request for info. loner51

·
Super Moderator
26,112 Posts
I have used HP-38 with jacketed 158 gr HPs/lead SWCs in 38 SPL and it shoots really well. Trail Boss also works well with the 158 gr SWC.

·
Super Moderator
11,090 Posts
I would like to know if anyone here has used Hi Skor 700X or Red Dot for .38 special reloading with 158gr. LSWC bullets at 750 to 850 fps. Have a pound of each and wondered if they would make good plinking loads. Thanks for any information you can give.
I have used both for 38 Spcl target loads using 148 grn lead wadcutters. If I remember the charges are somewhere in the range of 4-5 grains. The performance is very similar to using Unique powder. A light target load. 750-850 FPS is perfect or you will start to lead the barrel at around 900-1000 FPS. It is a little dirty (Just like Unique) with black soot and grains of unburned powder but you can minimize that by using a good solid crimp.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. This gun is a .38 Special only work gun on the farm for general work, bush hogging, etc. Some folks do not but I like a good crimp on every thing I load. Just loaded a few with Unique, 4.5gr I think. I will try some of 700x & red dot and see which shoot the best. loner51

·
Super Moderator
5,590 Posts
3.0 to 3.5 grains is the acceptable range with both 700X and Red Dot with 158 RN or SWC. Very much heavier is not advisable. 4 grains of either or a little below that is Plus P. Do not go higher than that for 38 Special chambered revolvers.

Since both are shotgun powders that work in pistols, and since standard pressure 38’s exceed shotgun pressures by around fifty percent or so, I believe you will find them to be quite acceptably clean burning. I have used both and that is my observation. They were designed to ignite and burn cleanly under low pressure conditions. No firearm has lower standard operating pressures than a shotgun when speaking of modern smokeless powder burners.

Light charges often require a small granulation powder to meter consistently but if you can meter them acceptably they will work.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Great post by 35 Remington. I would like to add that shotgun powders can be a little temperamental if you try to push them hard as they can build pressure quick once you reach the maximum operating range. They are not a good choice to hot rod with but then again that is inadvisable anyways.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good information on these powders. I was thinking of 3.2 or 3.3 for them with the 158gr LSWC loads which you confirmed as being about right for what I was looking for. Thanks again for all the knowledge on this forum. loner51

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. This gun is a .38 Special only work gun on the farm for general work, bush hogging, etc. Some folks do not but I like a good crimp on every thing I load. Just loaded a few with Unique, 4.5gr I think. I will try some of 700x & red dot and see which shoot the best. loner51
That Unique load should work quite nicely. I load 5.0 gr. of Unique in .38 Spl. with the 156 gr. Lyman #358156 SWC. Mild enough in a 6" S&W and recoil is tolerable in a .38 Spl. snubbie.

I did use some Red Dot way back in the late 1950's. 3.5 gr. with the Lyman bullet mentioned above. I don't remember anything about the load though. Most of my work with the .38 has been with Bullseye, Unique and W231. I did have one load with #2400 that I used in an S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman. The 38/44 was a high pressure load for use in the big "N" frame Smith and Wessons,Colt new Service and single action revolvers. Basically they're .38's on a 44 frame gun. The load was the predecessor to the .357 Magnum. I still have the Outdoorsman which I bought in 1954. It is not for sale.
Paul B.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
About 750 to 775 would be good. It is a 4 in. barrel. The 4.5 Unique load is behind a 158gr RNFP coated bullet from ACME bullets. Hope I do not get leading at850 to 870 fps. Thanks to all who have given input. loner51

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.