Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had good success with the 180 grain and 158 grain hornady xtp bullets with Unique powder for light loads, but am looking to spend a little less on the bullet and was thinking about the berry bullets. I have some of the 180 grain hollow points and the 158 grain flat nose. Im looking for lower velocity to plink but still enough power for accuracy at 50-75 yards. I have Unique, w231, and titegroup powder at my table. What would be a good load to shoot these 38 rounds with? I searched the forum and didnt see an answer for this, I also checked some reloading manuals and didnt see any info as well.

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
I'd start off with seven grains of Unique under either bullet and see how they shoot. I've gone as high as 9.5 with regular jacketed 158-grain bullets but plated bullets bring their own set of rules because of the softness of the cores and the thinness of the plating. I don't crimp my 35 pistol loads, I'd rather rely on neck tension to hold them in place and not have to worry about cutting the plating or sticking a jacket in the bore.

I try to keep plated bullets under 1100 feet a second. Less deformation translates to better accuracy, and none of the other plated bullet issues. I don't mean to sound like I'm down on them, I love plated bullets............but they have their limitations and restrictions. 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts