Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as I posted a couple months ago, I decided to give my 336CB 38-55 a go on the next rifle caliber silhouette match, which was yesterday.
I was not expecting much as I have never used this rifle in Sil, before & our home range is limited to 100Y, but was pretty confident in where to hold for the 150Y turkeys & 200Y rams.
It turned out that the one load that I was not particularly comfortable with was the pigs & I missed THREE of them!
Some how I still pulled out a 30, but there was another 30 and a pair of 31s tieing for 1st & second.
But at least the 8 rams that I hit went down quick!
My shooting partner shooting a 30-30 hit a ram & the ricochet 馃槻 knocked a second one down! Go figure?
It does feel like it wants to shoot in the low 30's IF I can get a better pig load together:rolleyes:?

Registered
Great success story, I absolutely love mine and have gotten 30 in the last two matches too! You may have seen my write up, and yes even going slow they knock the rams flat, more than I can say for the 30-30. Congratulations again, you were only one away from the win,and they are such a joy to shoot. Do you have any load details, and or a couple pictures from the great match?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
No pics, ( we were all wearing masks as it is a State owned range- my glasses were fogging a bit due to that馃槨) but the load that was the problem was a 150 gr bullet (Accurate Mold) that worked great for chickens @ 50Y, (missed one that was a pull), but started falling apart @ 100Y. In hindsight, I should have used the turkey load that was a 200gr behind 14.5 of 2400. (only 6 turkeys, but it was my fault, the load was working good). The Ram load was a 240 gr. Meister behind 17 of 2400. I had calculated that I needed to hold the back of the Ram, but the first shot just cleared the back centered. The next eight, I held center & they all dropped with good center hits. Just slightly pulled the last馃が.

Premium Member
No pics, ( we were all wearing masks as it is a State owned range- my glasses were fogging a bit due to that馃槨) but the load that was the problem was a 150 gr bullet (Accurate Mold) that worked great for chickens @ 50Y, (missed one that was a pull), but started falling apart @ 100Y. In hindsight, I should have used the turkey load that was a 200gr behind 14.5 of 2400. (only 6 turkeys, but it was my fault, the load was working good). The Ram load was a 240 gr. Meister behind 17 of 2400. I had calculated that I needed to hold the back of the Ram, but the first shot just cleared the back centered. The next eight, I held center & they all dropped with good center hits. Just slightly pulled the last馃が.

Great recap. I have fallen out of practice with COVID. Not nearly enough time at the range or match shooting. I hope to start back up a few shorts off of where I left off.

I think the 38-55 offers more options for the silhouette game than the other big bore options. I have not tried a bullet less than 210 gr. Now you have me thinking. I seem to be keeping Tom in business. I have more molds for the 38-55 than any other cartridge.

I just looked at an on line manual from 1937 by PB Sharpe and there they it is, load data for a 149 gr cast bullet. Unique listed between 10.0 and 12.7gr 1,620 to 1,880 fps with max pressure at 22,000. I just may have to try it out. I would think the bullet would do well for both birds.

BTW, If you have not tried Herco powder with a Large Pistol Primer yet, you should. 10.0 gr is a good starting point. You can use load data for Unique as a guide. Only expect a little more velocity with the slightly slower Herco powder.

PS: Sounds like a few of us on this thread have a Silhouetteitis ailment. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Pappy, yes ten & grin load works too, but I am running thin on Unique, so have been using other powders trying to save some of it since we may not see any in the future (Biden ammo controls).
I do have a couple pounds of old Herco & will give it a try.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Pappy, I went with 8.0 of Herco because I was using a 207 gr. bullet & did not want to get the velocity too high. It shot very comfortably & grouped 2" at 100Y which is the best I can ask for with a peep sight!
This will become my new Pig load! Thanks.
Wish that you guys were closer as I would love shooting with you!
I'm heading South Sat. for 2-3 months, so no more silhouette for me for awhile!

Premium Member
Pathfinder,

Here is one of my designs I had Tom cut for the 38-55. Specific use is for the Rams. I am going to try the 150 gr for the birds. At my local club, the Rams roll easily with a 210gr bullet. However, at some ranges the Rams need a little more mass.

Registered
Thanks for a great post and thread. Pappy encouraged me when I got my 38-55 and I have learned a lot. I managed to score a several of pounds of Unique a year or so ago at a great price and I should be good to go for awhile. Thanks to Tom at Accurate also. His products make me look like a better shot than I am.

Premium Member
Pappy, I went with 8.0 of Herco because I was using a 207 gr. bullet & did not want to get the velocity too high. It shot very comfortably & grouped 2" at 100Y which is the best I can ask for with a peep sight!
This will become my new Pig load! Thanks.
Wish that you guys were closer as I would love shooting with you!
I'm heading South Sat. for 2-3 months, so no more silhouette for me for awhile!
Great to hear, another converted to Herco for Big Bore Silhouette! With 8 gr you should be about the same velocity as target standard velocity 22 lr.

For me in SoCal, winter is a much more comfortable time to shoot compared to the 110 degree days you find on the line in late summer. We had a match over Labor Day weekend and it was over 105 every day.

Reactions: vt4ster

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Pappy, that is a nice looking bullet.
I went with this for one around 200 gr. & is what I shot with the Herco yesterday:
Filled view of bullet 38-202E.
Dimensioned view of bullet 38-202E.

The 150 is his 38-150D design.

Premium Member
Pappy, that is a nice looking bullet.
I went with this for one around 200 gr. & is what I shot with the Herco yesterday:
Filled view of bullet 38-202E.
Dimensioned view of bullet 38-202E.

The 150 is his 38-150D design.

Pathfinder,

I just had Tom modify a design and ordered today. 38-151G. My chamber throat is a little longer and I like to seat where the bullet is engraved by the lands. In less than 12 hours from my request, Tom made the design change and posted it in his catalog. You can't beat good customer service and quality products!

BTW, I cannot see the pictures attached?

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Pappy, I guess that my attempt at copying his diagram did not work to well.
You can see it in his catalog though.
That is a good looking bullet (pretty similar to the 38-150D that I got) & bet that it shoots great, but not sure that it will hold together out to the Turkeys. Sure works well on the chickens!

Reactions: PoopDeckPappy

Premium Member
I shoot Big Bore with a 357 as well. I use a 158 gr on the birds without issues. This design has a better aerodynamic design than the .357 158 gr truncated cone nose as well.

The futzing around with bullet, powder, etc never ends, does it.

Reactions: pathfinder65

Registered
I have been surprised how well slow heavy bullets take rams, with 35 Rem and 38-55. They make an impressive lead splash on the rams also, which makes spotting easy. I shoot 30-30s so I just watch others lob in the big bullets

Registered
Big match tomorrow for me, never shot with this group, another chance to lob lead at the full size animals.Report back soon.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Big match tomorrow for me, never shot with this group, another chance to lob lead at the full size animals.Report back soon.

Good luck tomorrow & yep, that 250 gr. bullet hammers them pretty good at 200Y. I got 8 using my 38-55 a couple weeks ago. I missed THREE PIGS:mad: & thought I had good breaks, but one. Still ended with a 30, but you just can't give away pigs! Two more would have won the match.

Premium Member
Pappy, I guess that my attempt at copying his diagram did not work too well.
You can see it in his catalog though.
That is a good looking bullet (pretty similar to the 38-150D that I got) & bet that it shoots great, but not sure that it will hold together out to the Turkeys. Sure works well on the chickens!
Pathfinder,

I took the new 38-151G out for a match today. With my softer alloy, it drops at 155 grains. I was able to get a few loads worked up and chronographed them Friday then sight in for best groups at 50 and 100 meters. I landed on a load using I a large pistol primer and 10.7 gr of Herco that pushed the bullet at 1,560 fps. I am still using the 235 gr pill for the pigs and rams.

Thanks for the tip on a lighter bullet. I shot my best score to date in Big Bore. The difference was the birds. 17 out of 20 fell. 10 Chickens and 7 Turkeys. I ended up with a total of 32 with 2 pigs left standing! I had some hits that were edge shots that made the Turkey spin a full 90 degrees and still had plenty to push it off the stand.

The lighter bullet in the 38-55 turns out to be the equivalent of a 357 mag load and is a keeper.

Thanks again for the tip.

Registered
Good luck tomorrow & yep, that 250 gr. bullet hammers them pretty good at 200Y. I got 8 using my 38-55 a couple weeks ago. I missed THREE PIGS:mad: & thought I had good breaks, but one. Still ended with a 30, but you just can't give away pigs! Two more would have won the match.
Well the match is in the books. The winner hit 32,I was next with a 30, I had many near misses on turkeys and rams, got all the chickens, and all the pigs! This rifle is more fun than should be allowed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts