Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Cowboy ain't getting the job done.Shot these this afternoon at 100.Used .381 diameter bullets.It was worse with .380.Groove is .3795.My next guess is the forend is to tight where it meets the receiver or something.I'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there dgslr -- Welcome to the journey!! There is a lot of information you haven't told us. But let me suggest a plan and not specifics. As far as tightness of things, I think the areas farther from the receiver are more problematic. I like a little fore and aft play in my forend as well as a little rocker. I'm not talking much here. It looks like you have a good selection of powder and a couple bullet diameters. Maybe work with focusing on one powder and one bullet and see how that plays. Half grain increments worked for me. I was always coming back to 10 grains of Unique. You didn't say if your bullets were different weight as well as diameter. It's been a year for me and I still haven't settled on a heavy bullet and powder. Close, but no cigar. This is a fun caliber but it takes some looking. Enjoy the journey!! Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the bullets I shot today were .381 dia. and weighed 260 gr.I've shot 250 .380 dia. that weighed 245 gr.With the .380 dia.bullets it was worse with all powders.I still have 5 of each load I'm going to butcher...I mean loosen up the forend and try again.At least my 30/30 XLR shoots good.Took the scope off I had on for hunting and put the williams FP back on.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Bullets gas checked? Or plain base?

How many rounds have you fired through it?

Mine did not settle down to real good groups until I had around 300 rounds of cast through it. It shot well enough with 9gns of Unique around what you are getting in you first target. It now shoots around 2.5 inch at 100 with the same 9gn load.

First, I am a Unique user and do recommend it to any straight walled case shooting cast, especially rifle cals.

Most 38-55 shoot the WW factory jacketed 1200fps, really well, thing is 10gns of Unique will shoot about the same 1200fps.

By the way your groups are not all that bad.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
If you want to be certain that it is a forearm tension problem, try shooting using the most accurate load and no forearm or magazine. If that fixes it then play with the screws, wood or magazine lengths.

If it doesn't, consider fire lapping to remove the usual Marlin restrictions. You could potentially halve your group sizes when it's done.

Snow.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I agree with Swany, especially the 1st and 3rd targets from the left. They are certainly good enough to kill anything in NA. And I wouldn't call the other ones terrible, just not great.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its been shot 250 times since I got it.It was used but not much I'm guessing.2002 year of manufacture.All but 20 shots were without gas checks.The magazine tube stud was so tight I had to drive it out,same with the forend tenon.The forend is really tight on the barrel and in the receiver.Shooting with out the forend didn't help.Maybe it does just need to be shot.Lapping sounds interesting too.I'll get back to this after the Texas state CLA match Sunday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts