Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D It is such a beautiful morning here in tenn that i couldn't stand not heading out for the range. And today was lever day! no mil surps :wink:
i wanted to shoot the 93 i have, and it was fun!
SEE ! i DO remember my marlins! :p the groups with my loads of barnes bullets ran around 3", some better, some worse, if i don't "jerk" the trigger i do pretty good!.......the just shot some rocks etc at different distances offhand.....
the only thing i don't like is the smooth metal butplate....it slides on the shirt, i might get a strip of rubber something and stick it to the buttplate,,,,nothing permenant....just to help hold her to my shoulder. :?:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Those Mil surps have you spoiled, Kaintuck! :D Glad to see you haven't forgotten the Marlins. i've got an 1893 in that caliber that is quite accurate for it's age. Takes .381's, I found some ready casts at Montana Precision Swaging that are a BP alloy. They're just dynamite in that gun. Weigh 265g and are lubed with SPG or something similar. Put them over 18.5g of XMP-5744 in the win. cases with a CCI BR-2 primer. 1365fps from her with an SD of 7. Gonna use her at our threee day side matches next weekend........Buck 8) :roll: :D :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Kaintuck,
Have you ever used IMR 4198 in your 38-55? I found a load in an NRA book that shows 20 grains of IMR 4198 with a 245 grain cast bullet. It fills the case well, so it should not require any fillers. I have looked up a lot of smokeless loads that require the use of fillers in the 38-55 (and other calibers, too). I would prefer to avoid the use of fillers. Lots of pros and cons!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Roundsworth,

You've got to try XMP 5744 for reduced smokeless loads in large cases. Man I love the stuff. I use a .45-70 for cowboy silhouette and a 40 round match can beat you up pretty bad so I worked "down" a load of only 13 grains of 5744 behind a 350 grain cast bullet. I use it on the 50 and 100 meter targets and it feels like I'm shooting a .44 Special in a rifle. You can imagine how little 13 grains would fill a .45-70 case but no matter what angle I hold the rifle it seems really consistent even with that small amount. No fillers to mess with. Just thought I'd pass on what I know.

Geoff

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi Geoff,
I have read quite a bit about 5744, and will give it a try. I obtained a loading brochure from Meister bullets (they make excellent bullets), but their recommended loads for the 38-55 using 5744 are WAY over the max listed in Accurate Arms' brochure. I will definitely go with the A. Arms info!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I sure like the Meister hard casts in my .32-40. I use their 170 grainers, but I need to find another supplier, as Midway doesn't catalog them anymore.

·
Registered
394 Posts
MM93,
I bought my Meister bullets direct at meisterbullets.com. I honestly don't know how their direct prices compare with dealers, though.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Thanks! I'll check out their prices. If memory servwes me (which it rarely does!) I paid $17 for 250 at Midway, with shipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts