Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about geting a 38-55 for a while now.But have been reading a lot of post about the 38-55 and cast bullets.And I have been assuming that the 38-55 doesn't do well with a jacket bullet.I have never reloaded cast bullets.So I was wondering how the 38-55 does with a jacket bullet vs. cast...
Thanks for any help you can give me...

·
Registered
272 Posts
There are old rifles and new rifles...DUH...pretty dern obvious.Sorry about that.But if you intend to buy the OLD rifle in 38-55 be aware that the barrel is usually pretty soft and jacketed bullets wear it out fast. On the other hand late barrels have been made just for shooting them.I just sold a 93 in 38-55 that was made in 1894,so believe me I shot NO jacketed ammo in that. The barrel had been changed to one stating Special Smokeless Steel but still refrained.It might have been OK but why take a chance. The way I see these guns, we are but caretakers of collectables.We can buy them but do we have a right to destroy them?? I think not. We pay for the right to keep them for the next generation to learn from and enjoy.I see guns that are shamefully altered and it gives me a dread that only another caring collector can realize. Heck I shoot the heck out of them but that was what they were made for, not abusively but carefully with the right kind of ammo.So go for it.modoc

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
If you are looking at the the 336CB in 38/55 it is a great rifle. I have not shot any cast bullets out mine yet. I have shot the Hornady 220 grain JFP .375dia bullet. If you push it fast you can get some good groups out of it. I tried the Barnes 250 gr .377dia bullet and really could not get it to shoot worth a crap. BUT the bullet that really shoots is the bullet made by Stone Fence It is a 250 gr .378 JFP. I'm pushing that bullet out at 2012 FPS and it will shoot under 1/2 inch at 50 yards with open sights. It is one heck of a hunting bullet. I have shot 2 deer with it so far. Last year a large doe about 170 pounds. Hit her in the neck at about 160 yards and it flipped her upside down and she landed on her back, legs straight up in the air. This year I shot a nice 4x4 at about 60 yards and hit never knew what hit him. He fell where he stood. I love this CB rifle and find myself using it more and more. With hand loads the 38/55 is a fantastic cartridge.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,I should have put down what I was looking at.I was looking at a new 336 cowboy in 38-55.I would be useing it for deer hunting where most of the shots would be less than a 100 yards.And wanted to use jacket bullets if it would shoot them constantly.I like the hornady 220 gr. in the .375 I use them in my 375 win. and really like them..

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
If you get it I would get a hold of Stone Fence and try some of his 250 gr JFP .378 bullets. Esp if you are hunting with the rifle. These bullets are real deer killers!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
big medicime

I can't find The Stone Fence web site can you post the link for Stone Fence.I would like to know more about them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts