Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
38-55 question with pics now

Had the rifle out the other day to try out some loads. Once when working the lever the hammer dropped firing a round. I was alone and the rifle was pointed down range at the time. ok, I thought - did I just pull a bone-head move and catch the trigger with my thumb? Did not happen again that day even after cycling a dummy round many times. Happened again today. I thought it was a possibility so was careful to cycle it pointed down range and make sure fingers were not near the trigger. Now cycling the rifle with an empty chamber the hammer drops almost every time the bolt closes. The only thing I have had apart is the bolt to clean the firing pin and channel. This rifle does have a VERY light trigger pull. Also about every 5 rounds I was getting a light primer strike that would not ignite. Any advice where to start?

Thanks Neal

Does the full-cock notch look a little shallow? Doesn't seem to hold the trigger by much. Trigger Tool
Trigger Revolver
Trigger
Trigger Tool Bumper

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Sounds like you may have a worn sear. What model is it?? Light strike could be weak or loose mainspring.
I agree, especially with the sear. If it's worn, broke or repaired (like the one I found) it is easily replaced. Numrich has them for under $10.

Reactions: CPhoghead

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, especially with the sear. If it's worn, broke or repaired (like the one I found) it is easily replaced. Numrich has them for under $10.
Hope this is the case and easy fix. This is a model 1893 marlin made in 1899. Aside from removing the bolt and cleaning the firing pin I have not done any disassembly on this rifle. Wondering how big a task replacing the sear is and if someone could steer me in the direction of some disassembly instruction. Have found much on the net except for a parts diagram.

Thanks Neal

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Hey CP,

You need to have that repaired by a qualified gunsmith. Trigger work on a gun that has not been altered is relatively simple, however, correcting some one's mistake can be difficult. A new hammer and sear may be the best way to go. I have seen some trigger "jobs" that looked as though it were done by a 4 year old with a hatchet. A well adjusted trigger is a joy but as you know, a bad trigger can be dangerous. Get it corrected...ASAP.

JB

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there CP -- Jim might be just a little previous here, not saying he's wrong, but let's look at something first. Your 93 has a one piece trigger and the trigger sear thing is different. Get a good set of gunsmithing screw drivers. Go here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/how-disassemble-clean/20184-disassembly-assembly-1895-pics.html and read through to number 13. There will be a couple of differences. You have a flat mainspring - not the coil spring. It should be self explanatory removing it. When you get the hammer out, check the notches for gunk. When you get the trigger plate out, do the same. This may correct your problem. If your problem still exists, head on down to see a gunsmith. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Will do some disassembly over the weekend to see what the extent of the fix is and go from there. I checked the Numrich site and they are sold out of hammers so hope it's not too worn out. The disassembly link will help a lot - thanks Wind. Also found a YouTube video on disassembly of the 336.

Regards Neal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.