Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no experience with this caliber but let me tell you what happened. I went to my local gun shop after work tonight looking for a Williams peep sight for my 444ss. I found one and the clerks says that it was on sale for 10% off, in fact everything in the store is 10% off..Well now you know I have to start a lookin' at the guns. I come across the Marlins and find 2 336CB's in 38/55 one for $529 and the other for $519..hmmm, I figure the $519 has been on the rack longer..Now this is where it really gets good..I pick it up and must state this is probably the sweetest Marlin I have EVER brought to my shoulder. Picking up the rifle for about $468 even makes it better.

Now I reload so hopefully this is not a problem? And I have a 30/30 and 444 already. What kind of cartdridge am I looking at? What advantage over the 30/30 does it have? And what kind of ballistics should I expect? The sale ends Sunday so respond quick? :wink:

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
OOOOHHHH, my friend you got your self one heck of a rifle!! With hand loads you can get some real getter loads. I got my 38/55 over a year ago and will most likely carry it most of time this deer season.

I had tried loads with the Hornady .357 220 gr bullet. They shot ok I have a couple loads with that bullet that shoot very well.
I tried the Barnes .377 255 gr bullet and nothing shot worth a damn.
Then I tried the bullet that Stone Fence makes. It is a .378 250 grain jacketed Flat point. It will shoot large ragged holes, and it is one deer killer! I shot a big doe at about 170 yards last year and it up ended her flipped her right over on her back. It is a great cartridge.

The load I use is the .378 250 gr JFP that Stone fence makes with 37.5 grains of H335 and a CCI 200 primer with Winchester Brass.

If you want to get a hold of Stone Fence let me know and I can PM his email to you.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
The .38-55 Ballard cartridge has been around since 1884. It's one of the most verstile cartridges around, and can be loaded with bullets varying from 200-300 grains. The most popular weight is the 245 grain bullet, and velocites run from about 1300-1800 fps. The .38-55 in a modern action like the 336 you're looking at, can be deadly on anything up to e;k sized big game. Sounds like a killer price too!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Chip,
I won't bore ya with my 38-55 story, cuz when Iget going I can't stop, but I will say it's one of the great old-timer calibers, and I can assure you it will take game up to elk size, if used within it's boundries ....Jake.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Chip, You'll never regret the 38-55CB I bought mine several years ago. I have taken two deer with it and it does the job well. The advice for Stone Fence bullets is a good direction to go, thats all the jacketed I'll ever need they shoot into some small groups at 100yds behind some RX7. The only thing I can think for you to do is a search by caliber in this forum and at www.shootersforum.com there's a few quirks in reloading for them. Such as if you get Lee dies the sizer is for a .375 win and is .100 too short. So if you get lee dies back off the sizer at least .100 to avoid undersizing the case at the neck and causing the dreaded bullet bump when seating. I backed mine off until there was no notice of the bullet bump on the outside of the case. I would recommend the lee factory crimp die for your cast bullets if you shoot them. The 30-30 is a necked down 38-55. In a pinch because they are shorter you can put a .375 H&H expander decapper in your sizer and make your cases out of 30-30 brass. Unique is the powder of my choice for cast. 8gns of it and .379 245gn hard cast shoot very well in my rifle. I have tried bullets from .375 (220gn hornady) to .379 in cast and jacketed. The .377,.378, .379 I find no difference. The .375 220gnrs I could not get to stabilize until I was way over max on powder. This is a load I would not publish, anything less and them .375 220gnrs would tumble with 3ft groups the best I could do.

G

·
First deer I ever shot with my own cast bullets and tang sights was with a 336CB in 38-55 ! Used Lyman's 264 gr GC mold ,the deer was shot at 65yards walked 10 steps and fell over .....WORKS FOR ME !!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts