Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Would you believe old sight on a new rifle? Here are some pics of Number 2 and sights.

then the sights, front sight is a Lyman Globe sight......

Then the rear sight. It came off a 1903 Springfield and was modified to mount in the scope mounting holes. No drilling required.
..........and raised to shooting position. It has been modified to take Williams apertures.

Number two is a great shooter.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Never seen a rear sight like that.That looks real sweet on there.How does it work out for you?

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Way different, very interesting. Did you do the rework the sight or find that little treasure? DP

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dpe.ahoy said:
Way different, very interesting. Did you do the rework the sight or find that little treasure? DP
I had to re-work the rear sight completely. It had "V" notches and a tiny hole that could pass for an aperture. I made a new vertical slider for the Williams aperture. The sight required extensive modification to make it fit the Marlin scope base holes. About all that is original is the elevation adjustment and windage adjustment.

I had to modify the front sight with a higher blade but that looked like fence post on the end of the barrel. Then I went to the Lyman globe sight, after two attempts I got the height right (anyone need an extra tall Lyman Globe front sight) ;D. The second try with a .584 front sight is perfect. With the elevation all the way down, it is right on at 50 yards, High at 75 and right on again at 100 yards. Talk about dumb luck.

This is 38-55 CB No. 2. 38-55 CB No. 1 has a Marbles tang sight That also had to be re- worked. I have had much difficulty with sights on these guns but the journey has been fun.

JB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts