Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I thought, it was a combination of several small issues and not one big one. I increased the caming angle that's about one inch back from the firing pin tip. Polished up and smoothed the front of the rear firing pin half. Put a shim under the main spring, in front of the screw to increase spring tension. TIGHTENED the tang screw to draw up the bottom tang and add tension to the main spring. I was test firing with primed cases and when I got 5 out of 5 successful firings, all my negative symptoms disappeared, but you never know when that tourette's will rear it ugly head again!!
Thanks for all your support and ideas!!
Now I have to get some more Marlins!! The only other models I currently own are and ancient model 75 and a model 60. I have an 1895 .45-70, but it's on a permanent loan to the SIL. And I have no emotional attachment to it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Glad you figured it out, finding all the small issues can strain the brain.
Now it's time to go have some fun with it.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
"I have an 1895 .45-70, but it's on a permanent loan to the SIL. And I have no emotional attachment to it."

The gun or the SIL? ;)

Not to worry we will help you find lots more Marlins.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"I have an 1895 .45-70, but it's on a permanent loan to the SIL. And I have no emotional attachment to it."

Not to worry we will help you find lots more Marlins.
The gun or the SIL? ;)

She's my stepdaughter so......

The reason I got the .38-55 was 'cause last year I fired a friends 1881 in .45-70, but since I already have four other .45-70's, an 1884 trapdoor rifle and carbine, #1 rolling block, and 1874 Sharps carbine replica, I thought the .45-70's little brother would be a good choice. Now maybe I need an 1881 after all!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good to hear you got it working Al, I just had a successful test session with mine too, so there's a few more working Marlins out there ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts