Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in my second post we finally got two accuracy loads, one with 4227 and one with blue dot. All our experimentation was done with a Vortex 3X9 power scope. Real men shoot with iron sights so the scope came off and a Williams receiver sight went on the rifle. I'm an old geezer and shot iron sights for over 55 years. A few years ago I purchased an amazingly accurate CZ 452 in 22 LR and mounted a scope to see how well it would shoot. Dime size groups at 50 yards were easy with the right ammo. At 100 yards on an official NRA 100 YD. small bore target it has shot a 100 7X. It took me several months to get used to shooting with a scope. Shooting the Marlin with a scope, we tried 3 different scopes, two different mounts, 3 different sets of scope rings before we could get the it right, but never had a comfortable cheek weld. The receiver sight cured that. The rifle is now a joy to shoot and we can easily shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.
So of course we had to experiment further. We tried paper patched bullets, proved to be a waste of time as accuracy didn't improve. Tried the two different bullets we had with the Starline and Winchester brass, trying various combinations and still got our 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. My favorite load is Starline short brass , an Acme ( the company Wile E. Coyote gets his anvils) 255 gr, .378 diameter RNFP bullet and the blue dot powder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As mentioned in my second post we finally got two accuracy loads, one with 4227 and one with blue dot. All our experimentation was done with a Vortex 3X9 power scope. Real men shoot with iron sights so the scope came off and a Williams receiver sight went on the rifle. I'm an old geezer and shot iron sights for over 55 years. A few years ago I purchased an amazingly accurate CZ 452 in 22 LR and mounted a scope to see how well it would shoot. Dime size groups at 50 yards were easy with the right ammo. At 100 yards on an official NRA 100 YD. small bore target it has shot a 100 7X. It took me several months to get used to shooting with a scope. Shooting the Marlin with a scope, we tried 3 different scopes, two different mounts, 3 different sets of scope rings before we could get the it right, but never had a comfortable cheek weld. The receiver sight cured that. The rifle is now a joy to shoot and we can easily shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.
So of course we had to experiment further. We tried paper patched bullets, proved to be a waste of time as accuracy didn't improve. Tried the two different bullets we had with the Starline and Winchester brass, trying various combinations and still got our 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. My favorite load is Starline short brass , an Acme ( the company Wile E. Coyote gets his anvils) 255 gr, .378 diameter RNFP bullet and the blue dot powder.
Have one of those CZ 452 in 22LR and best ammo has been Aguila std velocity. They are great affordable rifles.

My Uberti HW needs .380-.381 to give best groups. Using Ken Waters Pet Loads.
My original Stevens 44 shoots .378-.379 great

1 - 3 of 3 Posts