Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the general opinion of the 38-55 cowboys. I have two friends that have had them and let them go as they could not get them to shoot as well as other cowboy marlins.:(

Being an early target round I was baffled by this as both guys are pretty experienced.:hmmmm:

What are your experiences :questionmark:

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
38-55 itis

What is the general opinion of the 38-55 cowboys. I have two friends that have had them and let them go as they could not get them to shoot as well as other cowboy marlins.:(

Being an early target round I was baffled by this as both guys are pretty experienced.:hmmmm:

What are your experiences :questionmark:
Hey B,

With just a bit of "coaching" from Red (aka JBledsoe), was able to shoot this, right out of the gate. Not to shabby, for an Iron Sighted, cast bullet rifle, at 100 yds!:biggrin: (full details here http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...on-standard-calibers/113547-38-55-pics-6.html )

Did some more "testing" yesterday, details here http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...n-standard-calibers/140667-38-55-bullets.html :biggrin::ahhhhh:

The Moyer Bullet was shot at the 50 yd line.:ahhhhh:

All in all, will say the 38-55 was the "easiest" of any center fire rifle, to obtain good result. (and if you have any more "pals", who want to "unload" their 38-55 CB for "cheap", I run an active "rescue"):biggrin:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
There's one over on broker right now that needs rescuing. Please don't make me do it. :biggrin:
Hey Sparky,

That 38-55 CB is "calling" you. LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
348 Posts
Boroak-----the 38-55' can be kinda tricky-----specs on things like bore diam & chamber size differ on newer models vs older models-----measuring things is very important on em-----so ya can match up proper bullet diam. & brass thickness----once ya get things matched up properly they can be areal tack driver----very little store bought ammo for em so reloading is a necessity!!

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Mine is a cowboy conversion (70s gun sent to Marlin). It shoots very well with .381 cast with 2400 or Unique. Not a speedster but accurate. I shoot the short brass, changed the sights. Match the brass to the çhamber and boolit to the bore as said above. I'll keep mine. I have 6 Cowboys. The 45 Colt and 38/55 get used the most.

papalote

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
The Marlin 336CB 38-55's are like potato chips, once you've had one you want another.
I've got more than I need now, but not more than I want. :biggrin:

Like everyone is sayin' once you find the right bullet and load they'll shoot better than the guy pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You know, I honestly can't remember if I have ever shot it to get a paper group.

But I do remember the expression on the faces at the guys at the range that come there just to shoot paper when I pick it up shoot it up the hillside and lay the rifle down and then you here a faint "ding". There's nothing like that delay in hitting a target that you have explain three time where they can see it. "What are you shooting at, again?" See that black thing ... looks kind of like a buffalo ... no, just left of that tree line ... no, follow my finger ... no, stand over here ... see it just past that patch of sage ... no, just to the right of that little drainage ... Oh, I didn't even notice those were up there.

But then, I've been known to do that with my .357 Blackhawk ... ok, maybe without quite as many "dings" ... :)

It is one of my favorite rifles and cartridges.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gentleman,

Thanks to all. Yes they both reload and cast their own bullets. I guess they just did not get the right loads dialed in.

I like the round and have a similar round I load for but on a different action.

A 9.3 x 57 mauser in a small ring 98. 232-290 grain bullets at 1800-2200 fps. She was pretty easy to get up and running well. I just thought a similar round in a lever action would be fun.

I was looking at the 45-70 in either an 1886 or 1895 CB, but thought the 38-55 would do much of the same thing and be a little less expensive for cast loads and burned powder, If I could get the gun running correctly.

Brass is a little harder to get, but the rest seems pretty straight forward. As much as I would like to think I need the 45/70, the 38-55 might be more in line with my actual needs. Target rounds, hunting deer and hogs. Hogs mostly under 350 pounds.

I do have the 45 colt cowboy already so I have the 45/70 "light" already.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the 9.3x57. I don't have one but have long been interested in it. Do you load it light in the small ring?
I have mostly used the Speer 270 grainers at About 2000 fps. That is not a max load, but enough of a good thing for me.

I also tried the Privi 286 grainers at about 1850, also plenty of a good thing. I got some good 265 grain cast bullets that performed pretty well but could not shoot with the jacketed rounds in group size. The 270 Speers will shoot into 1/2 at 50 yards, basically a

ragged hole with the aperature sight on the gun. The previous owner claims it will ring an 8 inch 200 yard gong every shot. No 200 yard range here so I will have to take his word for it. It does shoot very well though.

All of the above loads are well under max for my action.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Boroark,

Bet they just did not find the right load. I am assuming they re-load for themselves.

djh
Those are nice looking targets....................but I can't read any of your data.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Chris,

Just go up to your command menu where you have zoom or view and go up to about 300% and you will be able to make out the data fine. :)

John

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I use Ctrl and the wheel on my mouse, but as it gets larger, it gets fuzzier.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The 270 Speers will shoot into 1/2 at 50 yards, basically a ragged hole with the aperature sight on the gun.
Boroark,

What kind of apeture sight do you have on your 9.3x57 ( I'm assuming the rifle is a Husqvarna ) ?

I have a Husky 46 in 9.3 that is a favorite of mine.

B

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.