Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey MO,

Our Chief Enabler has been busy. As you may recall, he got a "new to him" 1886 "repop", for Christmas.

He has been busy casting up some bullets, and was kind enough to let me have some of each, to try. (which I will, as soon as I can get to the range)

Will be using Starline brass, trimmed to 2.123" (shortest one of the bunch), with the primer pockets and flash holes uniformed.

They will be lit with the Federal 210, and charged with 10.0 grains of Universal Clays.

The seating depth and crimp dies were adjusted for each bullet. (loaded twenty of each)

The 230 gr and 240 gr bullets, will be pictured on this post, and the 250 gr, 255 gr and 260 gr bullets will be on the following posts.

Enjoy.:biggrin:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey MO,

Here are two more of the bullets that Dan cast. (thanks Dan)

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey MO,

Think I have the winners here:congrats: (my rifle seems to "like" the .381" and larger bullets)

We have the plain based 255 gr LFP, pan lubed with the excellent Wind's Wonder Wax, sized an .382". (think this one will really fly):biggrin:

And the excellent 260 gr LFP GC, from Moyer's. Sized at .380". (think this one will fly):hmmmm:

In case you are wondering about the .378" sizing, we think the 1886 "re pop", has a "smaller" bore.:hmmmm:

Enjoy the pics. Hope it warms up a bit, and drys out some (detest wearing waders):biggrin: so I can do some real rifle work, soon.

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Mark---

So fill us in on this 1886 repop----must have missed that one. Nice looking ammo there bud-----

Steve

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

Hey Mark.

I was wondering what kind of rifle that .378 bullet in the long brass would fit. Thanks for clearing that up. I, too, missed the story on the "repop"....what is it and what does the groove dia. measure?

JB

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hey Mark.

I was wondering what kind of rifle that .378 bullet in the long brass would fit. Thanks for clearing that up. I, too, missed the story on the "repop"....what is it and what does the groove dia. measure?

JB
Hey Guys,

If you look here http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...dard-calibers/132416-dinger-ringers-r-us.html Dan is shooting his "new to him" 1886, in 45/70. A couple of weeks later, his "new to him" 1886, in 38-55 came.

He is thinking that it slugs at .377". And cast up a variety of bullets. With the weather the way it is, neither of us have been able to get to the range to do "serious" sight in work.

I will test the "larger" diameter bullets first, as I already have a "base line" accuracy. (1 moa) with commercial cast bullets, as dropped, at .381". Think the .380" Moyer's gas check, and the .382" 255 gr PB "Dan Cast", will perform.

The smaller bullets (.378"), I can see not "doing well". As I loaded 20 of each, there will be enough for Dan to test in his 1886 (re pop).

We can "alter" the sizing dies as needed, and we want to know which bullets perform "best", before casting a bazillion of them. LOL

(have a bit of 45/70 work to do, with a 420 gr PB bullet, it will get another thread) LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
38-55 Bullet Test

Hey MO,

Got to the range yesterday, and tested a couple of these.

The .382" bullet showed something (my poor marksmanship skills, mostly):ahhhhh: The .378" bullets are too "small" for my rifle (keyhole/no group), and some serious leading.:vollkommenauf:

The 260 gr Moyer's cast bullet, with a gas check seemed to shoot real well.:biggrin:

The temperature was in the mid 60's, sunny, with a bit of a breeze. Target work done at the 50 yard line.

Just as I was finishing up, a "Patrol" of the sneakier by the minute, Mounted Necco's arrived. :ahhhhh: (note the "Headless Horseman"):flute: Was "caught unawares", without my K 22 at hand. Fortunately, had an adequate supply of 38-55 ammo.:top:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hey MO,
They will be lit with the Federal 210, and charged with 10.0 grains of Universal Clays.
Mark, as I was reading along, I expected Unique and not Universal Clays. Why have you chosen the one over the other?

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark, as I was reading along, I expected Unique and not Universal Clays. Why have you chosen the one over the other?
Hey Chris,

Use the Universal Clays in the 38 Special, 44 mag and 45 LC revolvers, as well as the 20 gr shotgun. Have had less than satisfactory results with Unique, in a revolver. Unique will "clog" a S&W revolver in just a few cylinders. (un burned powder, under the star...etc) Most of the Matches I shoot, require 200 rds of fire. Do not like cleaning the revolvers between stages (not nearly enough time)

Have had way better results (on the targets, and on the chronograph) with Universal Clays in both the .38 Special and the .44 Mag. (K 38 and M 29), than ever obtained with Unique.

Plus, I do not have any Unique on hand. (do have some of the "new improved" Clean Burning Bull Eye) LOL

Think Unique does fine in a rifle (no cylinder gap/longer barrel).

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Hey mark, I have a question on the 38-55. I see in the pics a bullet bulge in the case. Would partial sizing to reduce that be more or less desirable? I have a 38-55CB, brass etc inbound. Has anyone noticed what these newer rifles have been averaging in bore dia? Or is slugging the bore par for the course. Also do the unique loads require any filler?

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey mark, I have a question on the 38-55. I see in the pics a bullet bulge in the case. Would partial sizing to reduce that be more or less desirable? I have a 38-55CB, brass etc inbound. Has anyone noticed what these newer rifles have been averaging in bore dia? Or is slugging the bore par for the course. Also do the unique loads require any filler?
Hey Sparky,

I am in the "full length" sizing camp. Thus, the slight "bulge". (full length size 22-250 AI, 22-250, 30-06, 38-55 and 45/70)

Others may back their sizing die "off" about 1/8th of a turn.

So far, have had good success with .381" pan lubed bullets, the .380" gas checked bullet from Moyer's Moyer's Cast Bullets, cast lead handgun bullets, cast lead rifle bullets, and am working on the .382" as dropped/pan lube bullet.

You do not need filler with Unique, Universal Clays, HS 6, or 2400.

The new rifles seem to "like" bullets from .380" to .382". Have heard of one that shot a .383" bullet. (maybe that 38-55 enthusiast will post here?)

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hey Chris,

Use the Universal Clays in the 38 Special, 44 mag and 45 LC revolvers, as well as the 20 gr shotgun. Have had less than satisfactory results with Unique, in a revolver. Unique will "clog" a S&W revolver in just a few cylinders. (un burned powder, under the star...etc) Most of the Matches I shoot, require 200 rds of fire. Do not like cleaning the revolvers between stages (not nearly enough time)

Have had way better results (on the targets, and on the chronograph) with Universal Clays in both the .38 Special and the .44 Mag. (K 38 and M 29), than ever obtained with Unique.

Plus, I do not have any Unique on hand. (do have some of the "new improved" Clean Burning Bull Eye) LOL

Think Unique does fine in a rifle (no cylinder gap/longer barrel).

Later, Mark

Thanks, Mark. I'm just not real tickled with how dirty Unique is. Was wondering if Universal Clays burned cleaner. ?

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Mark. I'm just not real tickled with how dirty Unique is. Was wondering if Universal Clays burned cleaner. ?
Hey Chris,

Much cleaner. Have fired over 500 rounds in a short action 5 screw (K frame/38 Special). Just a light "smoke". No grit, gunge, un burned powder or assorted combustion "detritus".

For cleaning (revolver or rifle) run a "wet" patch (pre soaked in ATF) on a "jag" down the bore, and in the charge holes. Allow to soak, overnight. Next day, repeat. Followed by a dry patch. Done.

With a "pointy" bullet rifle (22-250 AI, 30-06) same treatment. Check for copper fouling with Sweet's 7.62 solvent, on occasion. (hot day with lots of groundhogs, or two courses of Service Rifle Fire)

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hey Chris,

Much cleaner. Have fired over 500 rounds in a short action 5 screw (K frame/38 Special). Just a light "smoke". No grit, gunge, un burned powder or assorted combustion "detritus".

For cleaning (revolver or rifle) run a "wet" patch (pre soaked in ATF) on a "jag" down the bore, and in the charge holes. Allow to soak, overnight. Next day, repeat. Followed by a dry patch. Done.

With a "pointy" bullet rifle (22-250 AI, 30-06) same treatment. Check for copper fouling with Sweet's 7.62 solvent, on occasion. (hot day with lots of groundhogs, or two courses of Service Rifle Fire)

Later, Mark

Interesting info..........thanks. Might give Clays a try some day..............in fact, I need to look for some for a "mouse-fart" load for my .357 Ruger so my little wife can start shooting.

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting info..........thanks. Might give Clays a try some day..............in fact, I need to look for some for a "mouse-fart" load for my .357 Ruger so my little wife can start shooting.
Hey Chris,

There are three powders in the "Clays" series. Clays (similar to Red Dot), International Clays (similar to the Super Handicap), and Universal Clays (similar to Unique)

For the 38 Special, a 158 gr LRN or LSWC, sized to .358", and 4.5 gr of Universal Clays is "it". One inch 25 yard groups at 25 yards, with all makes of revolvers. Clocks at 800 fps from 6" revolvers (we have not clocked it from a rifle yet, guessing about 1,000 fps) Exactly duplicates the "Classic" Factory Load! (and current Federal American Eagle)

And two inch groups at the 50 yd line, with the nephew's Rossi Lever Gun! (with buck horn sights)! No recoil!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Dirtwater Doc

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Got a buddy who shoots SASS. He says all they guys in his group shoot 2.7gr Clays or ClaysDot under a 105gr truncated cone bullet. I shot one once and it kicked about like a .22. Think I could get the little wife shooting the Ruger with that.........and then sneak in 1/10th grain each time I load a box for her. By the time I get to a "factory" load, she won't even know it had changed. :flute:

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a buddy who shoots SASS. He says all they guys in his group shoot 2.7gr Clays or ClaysDot under a 105gr truncated cone bullet. I shot one once and it kicked about like a .22. Think I could get the little wife shooting the Ruger with that.........and then sneak in 1/10th grain each time I load a box for her. By the time I get to a "factory" load, she won't even know it had changed. :flute:
Hey Chris,

2.8 gr of Clays is popular with the Bulls Eye crowd. A much "faster" powder, than Universal Clays.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Thanks for the lead on the bullets. I don't think my 375449 mold will get there without a beagle. I may just buy a few to get started. Thanks.
Sparky,
Here is a good place to buy some hyphenated ammo until you figure out all the numbers or if you have a friend's gun you would like to shoot. Buy the stuff direct from Ten-X.

Ten-X Ammunition Home Page

While doing enabler research I looked at some of their prices. Pretty darn good. For example a 50 count box of .32-20 is about $37. That is at least $10 under store bought. Plus they even have a reloading service. You send the brass back and that same box of .32-20 drops to $20!
Very good pricing if you want to buy a box to try and you don't have all the reloading materials. :)

John

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Thanks drjjpdc, that ain't a bad deal at all especially since there are none to be had around here. I'm just about to get it all together brass, bullets in hand. I have some family checking the Tulsa gunshow this weekend for anything 32-20 dies etc and I'm hoping there are some stray jugs of unique down there too. I'm not holding my breath there though. I almost got it all together before the gun gets here, not sure that counts as planning ahead but it ain't bad! Lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts