Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a batch of bullets from Stone Fence. And hope that one is destin for a large buck. I have only shot one deer with the 38/55, but what a number it did. the deer flipped over on its back from a 160 yard shot. The .378 jacketed flat point that Stone Fence makes did the job. AND these bullets shoot! The 38/55 is no wimp with handloads and a good bullet. There is about a 3 foot difference at 100 yards with my hand load and the factory Winchester load. My load shoots 3 foot higher, kicks a little more but not bad. There is just something about that 336CB!

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
Amen, I also shoot them Stone Fence Devastators, out of my 38-55CB
they will do the job again this year in Michigan. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stone Fence Devastators, I like that! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
do you have a link or contact info for Stone Fence...only deer I've shot with the .38-55 was with cast bullets ...didn't get the results I had hoped for

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Teal,
I sent you a PM with Stone Fence's e-mail address.

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
38-55 was John Waynes favorite,I had a 38-56 that he would give a left N#t for in a 92 and traded for something dumb.

·
Registered
49 Posts
.38-55

What we need to get started is a good forum just for the .38-55. There are a lot more of us out there than the manufacture's realize. We could use a lot more selection of both cast and jacketed bullets for the .379 bore size.
Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jonah,
The bullet Stone Fence makes is a .378 Jacketed Flat point one heck a nice looking bullet, but more important it shoots and puts down as good as it looks. You should give them a try.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info Big Medicine

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
IntrepidWizard said:
38-55 was John Waynes favorite,I had a 38-56 that he would give a left N#t for in a 92 and traded for something dumb.
What 92 uses a .38-56 or a .38-55? Did you mean 1894 Winchester in .38-55, or 1886 Win. in .38-56?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Many thanks Big Med. for the kind words.

you guys are welcome to e-mail me about bullets. Just be aware that I am a hobbyist slowly defraying the cost of the swage equipment, so I cannot supply huge numbers of bullets and it may take a while. If you shoot a lot, I definitely recommend getting a good .380 mould and casting bullets for casual plinking (the marlin just begs to be shot!) and reserving my jacketed bullets for high-vel hunting loads.

Enjoy those .38-55's!!
-Stone

G

·
First deer I ever took with cast bullets was with a 38-55 ! Deer took about 10 steps and fell over . Dead is dead ! He was about 65 yards bullets were cast from wheelweights and I had a Lyman tanf sight on my 336 Cowboy .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts