Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some much needed reinforcement from Bill I checked my rifles again. The slug on the .375 was .375. The 38-55 was .381. This will be a little difficult to buy gas checked cast bullets for. A big thanks to Bill.
Have a great day.
JIM

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found very few suppliers of .381 cast bullets with the gas checks. I was thinking I need .002 larger bullet than the bore to shoot good in cast. I know the .375 is no problem but the CB 38-55 is what I was concerned about. I do not want to cast my own as I do not have any of the needed equipment. Thanks for the reply, I did not word my thread very good.
Have a great day.
JIM

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Are there any suppliers who offer bullets that size. I don't have experience with finding bullets for some of the less widely used bullets like the fat 38-55 bullets. My experience is only reading about home casters making the fatter .380+ bullets.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
No idea. I plucked it off the web because I liked the look on the fox's face.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
.381s with a gas check should work well, with that gas check you can load them to higher pressures and it should bump up and fit your groove tight.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a Marlin 38-55 with .381 groove diameter.
I have had pretty good results using the .381 260 gr bullet from Hunter's Supply. It is a gas check design, but they sell it without the gas check installed (but it is lubed). I have shot them without a gas check installed, but they worked better for me with the gas check.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
I have a Marlin 38-55 with .381 groove diameter.
I have had pretty good results using the .381 260 gr bullet from Hunter's Supply. It is a gas check design, but they sell it without the gas check installed (but it is lubed). I have shot them without a gas check installed, but they worked better for me with the gas check.
Hey Steve,

Some of us have watched you shoot. Whatever you are doing, it works.......keep it up....:congrats:

·
Registered
299 Posts
After some much needed reinforcement from Bill I checked my rifles again. The slug on the .375 was .375. The 38-55 was .381. This will be a little difficult to buy gas checked cast bullets for. A big thanks to Bill.
Have a great day.
JIM
I have found very few suppliers of .381 cast bullets with the gas checks. I was thinking I need .002 larger bullet than the bore to shoot good in cast. I know the .375 is no problem but the CB 38-55 is what I was concerned about. I do not want to cast my own as I do not have any of the needed equipment. Thanks for the reply, I did not word my thread very good.
Have a great day.
JIM
Are there any suppliers who offer bullets that size. I don't have experience with finding bullets for some of the less widely used bullets like the fat 38-55 bullets. My experience is only reading about home casters making the fatter .380+ bullets.
PM me your address if you would like a handful of the .381 Hunters Supply bullets to try in your rifle.
Best Regards,
Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts