Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother lives in Alaska and is developing a load for .375 Ruger in the Ruger Alaskan rifle.
I did a little research into this round and it is quite impressive. I am wondering if anybody has experience with this round and if they used it for Moose or Brown Bear in Alaska. I suspect it did an outstanding job but some first hand feedback would be interesting to hear.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The 375 Ruger is a shortened version of the 375 H&H magnum.
Ruger basically squeezed the power of the H&H into a proprietary
case that is shorter than the H&H.
If you look up the ballistics you will see they are almost identical.

It's a good round, not sure how good above the treeline it will
be compared to the bigger bores, but it's a good hunting round.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My father in law has one. Even with the muzzle break he doesn't shoot it. I've shot it. Definitely has some kick. That's gonna be what stops a lot of guys from using it. Plus the $65 for a box of ammo.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My wife and I shot the 416 Ruger which is essentially the 416 Rigby in a shorter casing.
It is not something I would want to shoot from a bench!
We each put 3 rounds through it at $5 a pop!
3 was enough for the both of us. Elephant guns tend to kick hard!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear you guys. My brother picked up a lead sled type rest to use for zeroing and load development for this beast. He uses it for moose and bears in Alaska. Since he reloads the price per shot is greatly reduced. I did in fact check the ballistics on this puppy and it is pretty impressive. He used a .338 win mag on a grizzly last year and with two well placed rounds in it the bear ran off into a willow thicket. He found it later quite dead but since he already had the Ruger Alaskan .375 he figured he would develop a load for it. He is hunting this week. Lots of moose and bear signs in the area where he is hunting. Maybe he'll get one and give me a report. If he does I'll pass it on. Thanks. Mark
Thanks for the input.
I think the load he is using is Reloader 17 with 300 gr bullet.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have a Ruger Alaskan rifle except it's a 416. I have taken moose with it using 300gr (@ 2650 fps MV) and 350gr (@ 2450 fps MV) Barnes TSX bullets. It's rugged and accurate, and is a dependable performer. I don't find the recoil to be unpleasant - it's rather fun to shoot. :biggrin:

416 Ruger Alaskan rifle with Nikon Monarch 1.5 x 4.5 scope

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've got a rifle in 375 Ruger. Used it to take an oryx a while back. In our group it was the only round to drop the animal in one shot. Some of the other guys were using 300 ultra mags they didn't seem to have the punch to put them down. Ranges were all pretty similar, 120 to 160 yards. I don't find the recoil that, bad sighting it in I'll run a couple boxes of shells through it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have a Ruger Alaskan rifle except it's a 416. I have taken moose with it using 300gr (@ 2650 fps MV) and 350gr (@ 2450 fps MV) Barnes TSX bullets. It's rugged and accurate, and is a dependable performer. I don't find the recoil to be unpleasant - it's rather fun to shoot. :biggrin:

416 Ruger Alaskan rifle with Nikon Monarch 1.5 x 4.5 scope

Were you using the muzzle brake that came with it? I know that tames it quite a bit.
Also what ranges were you shooting at? I believe that cartridge is for fairly close
range.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Not equipped with a muzzle brake. Moose were taken at around 100 yards. With the right bullet and a steady rest I wouldn't hesitate at taking a 400 yard shot with it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
A 400 yard shot. Wow! We don't have anything near that distance around these parts.
Nice looking gun.

Reactions: whitewater

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At the velocities indicated for this round I would expect it to perform well at longer ranges. I know my brother is getting outstanding accuracy with his .375. He sent me an email this past weekend saying he is seeing 1/2 moa with his rifle with this load... RL-17 , 300 gr. bullet. A 300 gr bullet at 2600+ fps with 1/2 moa is impressive to say the least.
He mounted a Leupold low power variable scope on it. Haven't heard from him in a couple of days. I know he is hunting. lol I told him to be careful in that area since there was evidence of moose gut piles and lots of bear tracks/trails. Kinda dicey stalking an area like that.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Makes the hunt all the more interesting! >:D :biggrin:

And that big ugly hole at the end of the barrel sure is confidence-inspiring :top: -

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Heck, slamfire you should try to hunt with him. He's in Wasilla, AK.
I don't know how far north you are but he's pretty far north... lol
Going down into low 30's and upper 20's at night already.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Mikemax1
The problem is while hunting moose you stand a very chance of encountering Mr. Brownie. Some of them actually come to the sound of a rifle to steal the kill. Or, if in a heavily hunted area they already claimed a moose gut pile and are guarding it. I think I'd use the .375 for moose just in case Mr. Brownie makes an impromptu guest appearance. I'd rather have too much gun than not enough, but that is just me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Mikemax1
The problem is while hunting moose you stand a very chance of encountering Mr. Brownie. Some of them actually come to the sound of a rifle to steal the kill. Or, if in a heavily hunted area they already claimed a moose gut pile and are guarding it. I think I'd use the .375 for moose just in case Mr. Brownie makes an impromptu guest appearance. I'd rather have too much gun than not enough, but that is just me.
Indeed and that's why I have my smith and wesson 500 on my chest holster :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411683268.638192.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also living I'm the Alaskan bush I have come across brownies quite often never had an issue. My wife has been hunting moose since a young teen and her as well as me have never seen a bear near our kill.

We have even had to leave a gutted moose over night covered with a tarp because it got too dark lol. Went back the next day untouched. Is there a chance a bear could come sure, it just never happens to us. Still carry my pistol though.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
By all means use enough gun. Better to be paying a taxidermist than a mortician -

1 - 20 of 26 Posts