Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 375 and the lever is stuck closed. Can anyone suggest how get it to release.

Thanks in advance, bone2

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there bone2 -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. A whole lot more information would be helpful here. Did you drive your truck over the receiver? Did you shoot a handload and then have problems opening the action? Did it close on a cleaning patch? Were you cracking walnuts? Is there anything presently in the chamber - fired or unfired? Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Wind thanks for responding. I purchased the 375 in 1982 second hand. About a year later while at the range it would jam and try to load two in one. From time to time it would do this and I could always get it umjammed. I have maybe put 60 rounds through it in this length of time. Two years ago while at the range it did it again. After ejecting all cartridges from the rifle I have never gotten the lever to open again. So I stumbled accross this forum looking for some advice on this issue. Thanks bone2

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again bone2 -- Get yourself a dowel 5/16" in diameter and three feet long. Gently slide it down the barrel until it stops. Mark the dowel on the muzzle end with a pencil. Pull it out and lay it alongside the outside of the barrel. It should lay on the front edge of the receiver with the mark at the muzzle if the rifle was empty - as in no rounds in the chamber. You want to be absolutely sure your rifle is not loaded.

Slide the dowel back down your barrel. You want to apply pressure to the lever like you were opening it. At the same time you want to bump the dowel into the bolt face. You are looking to gently nudge the bolt open. Someone could assist by bumping the dowel with a hammer, or you could bump the inverted rifle/with dowel in barrel on the floor.

It's a fine line between destroying stuff internally and nudging the bolt open. Err to the gentle side. If it comes open, let us know and we can go from there. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wind & Lever addict,
Thanks so much for the suggestions I will try and get a dowel soon. I did the measurement with my cleaning rod this morning before posting. I do appreciate the to concern though. I will update later. Thanks again bone2

·
Premium Member
18,019 Posts
One other tip...........make sure the rifle is upright, so the locking bolt isn't an issue. Hold it with the sights on top and you should be fine.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Great point papajohn! Forgot about that one! The bolt will never slide back with the locking bolt engaged.
I'm gettin old...I gotta start writin this stuff down!:flute:

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Great point papajohn! Forgot about that one! The bolt will never slide back with the locking bolt engaged.
I'm gettin old...I gotta start writin this stuff down!:flute:
Even writing it down doesn't always help this old fart,:( can't find it after I put it somewhere "safe".:hmmmm: DP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts