Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this rifle not long ago off gunbroker. I mounted a Leupold 2x7x33 scope on it and took it to the range today. After "walking" it in close to dead on, I fired a 3 shot group for effect. The bad thing is that I left the rest of my ammo at home, but the good thing is the group I shot. Needless to say, I am very happy!

Winchester factory 200gr ammo......

And the rifle........

Dave

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I'm impressed. :)

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oz said:
I'm impressed. :)

Cheers,
Mark.
As am I! I have owned and shot the 375 in other platforms and have not enjoyed the early accuracy of this rifle. My first exposure to the round was on the Winchester Big Bore 94 platform. It never was very accurate. I never mounted a scope on it however, so a comparison to the Marlin wouldn't be fair. The recoil with the Winchester, especially off the bench was significant. The Marlin is noticeably less. I am a fan of the Ruger #3. I also had a 375 in this rifle. It was more accurate than the Winchester, but weighed a lot and was not aesthetically pleasing. After I sold the Ruger, I decided I would try a Marlin 375. I am very pleased thus far with my choice!

Dave :)

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Congrats on both the rifle and the group! Why did you get rid of the #3? I picked one up and have yet to take it out, looking forward to trying it out. What was the range you were shooting, 50, 75 or 100 yd? DP

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dpe.ahoy said:
Congrats on both the rifle and the group! Why did you get rid of the #3? I picked one up and have yet to take it out, looking forward to trying it out. What was the range you were shooting, 50, 75 or 100 yd? DP
I was shooting the Marlin off the bench at 100yds..... I sold the #3 because.........I don't know?? Change I guess. The #3 never shot better than 2" at 100 yds. That's okay, but wasn't exciting I guess. This Marlin, to shoot the way it does first time out, IS exciting!

Dave

·
Registered
521 Posts
Great Rifle !!!

My WinBB94 never liked 200-gr bullets so I switched over to the 220-gr Hornady and found better accuracy.

Nowadays I use the 220-gr Hornady with 36.0 gr of RL-7 powder ..... great accuracy in both my WinBB and Marlin 375.

Cheers,

Carl

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
375Win said:
Great Rifle !!!

My WinBB94 never liked 200-gr bullets so I switched over to the 220-gr Hornady and found better accuracy.

Nowadays I use the 220-gr Hornady with 36.0 gr of RL-7 powder ..... great accuracy in both my WinBB and Marlin 375.

Cheers,
Carl, what type of optics are you running on your Marlin?? I put the 2x7 on mine as an after thought. It works well!

Dave

·
Registered
521 Posts
Dave,

a few years ago I got real lucky on Ebay and scored a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 ..... awesome scope, got it nicely sighted in. I place a bowling pin at 100 yards and move it all over the pasture, hitting it almost every shot.

That sort of accuracy is a combination of rifle, scope, and ammo that the rifle likes.

I noted above my favorite load, which is loaded for me by Richard at Ten-X Ammunition. MV about 2,200fps.

The commercially-available ammo I like is Wisconsin Cartridge. The MV is lower, but it is just as accurate.
http://www.wisconsincartridge.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=22&idproduct=1

Cheers,

Carl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts