Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I’m new to the site I stopped at an old gun shop and bought an old beat up marlin to tinker with over the summer. I have to say it was rough! started taking it apart and thought maybe I shouldn’t mess with it to much, so all I did is clean it up and hand rub some LSoil on the stock. It came out great. I paid $150. For it. I started looking around to value it and gun broker had some ridicules #'s on it. It’s a 36rc -30-30-A s#C3197 I attached a picture for you guys. Not that im going to sell it but I’m curious to see what its worth and if I paid too much. Thanks, and this site is great!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Big C or a little c on that serial number? Big C was 1945 and little c was 1946.

Wish I could find a working 36 for that price.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
You've done extremely well. Its not unusual to pay $300 or more for a good Marlin here in Texas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a Big C "i think" The guy at the shop has another one of these old marlins it has a longer (24") barel seemed slightly newer any ideas on what i should pay on that one. I think this Marlin site just bit me! ;D

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
It's hard to put a value on one without actually looking at it. I know you got a good deal for $150, because you can't hardly buy any 30-30 Marlin these days for less than $200 with the prices lots of times going on up to 3 or 4 hundred. Around here a $150 gun is "Grand Theft Marlin" as it's a steal.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'd say you got it for half price.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm quite happy with the $400 K4 scoped 1955 SC i just bought, if that puts your buy in perspective not amply expressed by the previous posters....however, if you would like to make a 16.5% return on your investment, tell me where to send the check for $175 and i'll get it right out....

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
IMO ANY 30-30 Lever for under $200 (that is functional) is a steal... Espec a Marlin. I am not so enamored of the post '64 Win 94, as the recvr bluing sucks on them and can't reblue. No such issue with the Marlins. And for me, if it is a tad 'weathered' but functions/shoots, that's ok by me. I like working guns long as they will shoot. Very nice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree 100%, "i like new things but i love them when they get old" thats exactly why i buy older guns as long as they function They all have a story to tell, weathered or hunted at a good price I'll take any gun made in my grandfathers era !

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
First let me say welcome to the MO site. You will really like your model 36. I have a 1947 made model 36 and really enjoy the way it handles and shoots.
Here in west Texas expect to pay double what you did for your carbine. About an additional $50 for a 24 inch barrel model. You did real well by local standards. Nice looking gun. Shenandoah

Reactions: SCVDon
1 - 10 of 10 Posts