Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, reloaders,
The primer on factory Federal 200gr (gold colored primer) and my w-w brass (new), Fed. 210 primer, 200gr HDY RN, H-4198 from 27.0 to 29.8gr reloads all backed out app. one hundreths. The gun is a '53 336RC. My 45-70, 44mag, 357mag reloads or factory loads have never had the primer do that. Do I have a headspace issue, or is this a non-problem? The gun shoots accurately enough, considering who's jerking the trigger!
Thanks for any information.
Chad

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don`t worry about it.
My 30-30 does the same thing.When the firing pin hits the primer it pushes the case foward and then egnites the charge.The neck that has been anealed and is soft fills the chamber and grips the chamber wall.Now the presure pushes the primer out of the pocket and back agenst the bolt face and the high presure will cause the case to strech back reseating the primer flat with the bottom of the case.Now what your seeing is The case not streching.The 35 Remington doesn`t operate at a high enough presure to strech the case back to the bolt face flating the primer.I have seen this on quite a few leveraction guns and don`t consider this to be a problem but just to be safe let a good gun smith look at it. and mabe try to resize the cases a little less.I like to just neck size for the 35. the small sholder is real easy to move back too far.

Riflemen10x

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Riflemen10X,

I started to neck size only on my once fired brass 35Rem tonight. But I didn't get to far before family obligations toke over. On Big Bore forum, they were talking about neck size only on 45-70, which I didn't know that was possible. Most reloading manuals recommend full length resize for all lever actions. Hopefully that works. I measured some cases before neck size only, they did grow a little. I didn't full length size, then measure because I was to lazy to reset my die!

Riflemen10X, do you put any lube on the inside of the neck? It seemed to pull harder then when I first reloaded the 35Rem, enough to let my decapper/expander slide, when it didn't on the first 50 full length new W-W cases.

Thanks for any info.

Chad

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hay there labrat,

I realy don`t know why they say to always FL size brass for the leverguns.I never had a problem.I do get a little more resistance at the final lock up of the lever but it dosen`t bother me the rounds still cycle like green corn through a goose.I use a RCBS neck sizer die and like it alot.Before that i used my FL die set just about a nickels with off the shell holder.They both work about the same.If you have a lee FL die you can`t do the nickle trick they need to be screwed down tight on the shell holder.It`s somthing about the expander that dosen`t work right when its not all the way down.Yes i lube the inside of the neck.I like to use the old lube pad and brush.Its slow but it works for me.I found that if you don`t lube the inside neck it will tend to strech the case.

Good Luck
Riflemen10x

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 336A .30-30 (1976 mfg.) does it, too. The headspace is OK since the bolt won't close on a no-go gauge. Riflemen10x's explanation seems plausible, and I'm trying to adjust my sizing die to reduce fired cases just enough to chamber reliably. If this doesn't solve the "problem", I will simply ignore it as it seems to cause no harm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called Hornady today to see if I could neck size with my full length die. They do have a partial length die for .358 caliber. I don't know what specific round its for. The tech on the phone said that half turn from full length should catch the neck. He said to make sure to still lube the whole case. I made 5 rounds, they did cycle just fine. Haven't got out to shoot yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Chad

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Hornady today to see if I could neck size with my full length die. They do have a partial length die for .358 caliber. I don't know what specific round its for. The tech on the phone said that half turn from full length should catch the neck. He said to make sure to still lube the whole case. I made 5 rounds, they did cycle just fine. Haven't got out to shoot yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Chad

Edit: Now I see how sometimes you see two posts the same. Oops!
Chad

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
I've said this on the forum (the old one) many times. I had one lot of brass for the .35 Remington I never full length sized-not once. I either partial sized or neck sized, and this was for 40 plus loadings, the majority full power loads with some cast bullet stuff thrown in. Never needs it in the .35 in most cases because the pressures are quite low. I did this to see just how the cases would go before needing full length sizing. They never did. I got head separations at the end, the typical sign of overaged brass, but neck sized cases still fell in and out of the chamber with no effort.

Don't full length size if you don't have to. This helps reduce case stretching as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just another note

You can use a 38 or a 357 Mag carbide sizer to size the neck if you have one around and handy.I hope you get it all worked out

Riflemen10x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts