Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old Speer manual from the '70s says load data for IMR and H 4895 are identical.
I dont think that is true now.

In any case, i've got mucho IMR mil surp in jugs I plan on working up loads for 3030 and 35R and was wondering if anybody else favours this one, or if there is anything to watch out for.

thanks, Ken

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
According to Hodgdon, there is a difference of 2 gr at the max load between IMR and H 4895. IMR shows a max load of 36.5 gr and H shows 38.5 gr for the 200 gr bullet.

I prefer the H powder because it is shorter, meters better, and is supposedly less temperature sensitive. I use it in my 30-30 loads and have used it in the past in the 35 Remington albeit at higher loads than Hodgdon lists for a maximum.

·
Super Moderator
5,578 Posts
What's curious is that at the upper levels in the 35 Remington, IMR 4895 seems to be a little slower than H4895. This with compressed load testing with the 180, 200, and 220 grain bullets. With the 220 Speer, there's a whole lot of compression.

·
Registered
224 Posts
in this day and age my motto is:

"make do with what you have"

i'm sure you can "work-up" a good load w/ your IMR

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
KenG I have a 1998 Speer book. Is there a special reason why you mention Speer's book? I find it strange that H4895 isn't mention in their 35R data. but they do for the 30 30 up to 150gr. not for the 170gr. though. If you tell us the weight and brand of the bullet maybe we can get you a starting charge.

I'm assuming this military surplus powder is old.

TO NY

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I referenced the Speer manual from when I started handloading when I was 15, back in '74. It was current back then. In the front the powder burn rate info says IMR and H 4895 are identical. I know that ain't true now. No big deal, Ill be starting slow and going up careful anyhow. BTW, comparing the old manual to the new stuff on the web is funny; often the min starting load in the old is higher than the max listed today.

I have 32# of labeled IMR4895 from the late '90s, mil surp from Hi Tech i think it was. All the same lot, smells good as the gold it is. My plan for 3030 and 35R is to work up to factory vel or so using chrony and watching for trouble signs and best accy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts