Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many pounds of IMR 3031, and would like to use it with the .35Rem I just bought. Does anyone have any good loads using 3031?

I’m interested in using the 220gr Speer Flat SP. This bullet seems more like a SP rather than a flat nose but Speer says it is all right in a tube mag, so I would like to load for it.

Also I would be more than interested in other bullets using this powder.

Thanks.

Safe Journeys
Greebe

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm loading 32.0 gr of IMR3031 /180 Gr Speer RN and it is very accurate not to mention deadly on deer,black bear and hogs. I'm shooting it out of a 18" barrel

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
You can do a lot with IMR 3031. It's a fine powder for the .35. It fills the case and is capable of very good velocity.

IMR's load of 37.5 grains under a 200 grain RN is a very good one. To duplicate factory load speed, 35-36 grains will work, depending upon temperature and the particular rifle. The Remington 200 RN Core-Lokt is the best of the 200's, IMO, and is available from Midway at a very reasonable price. It's still a real Core-Lokt, while a lot of the smaller caliber sharply pointed bullets Remington sells as "Core-Lokt" really aren't.

Like PRR, I also use the Speer 180 with good results. You might figure that 39.0 grains or thereabouts is a good place to stop if you want to stay within SAAMI spec. It is a deeper penetrating bullet than the 200 Remington.

As for the 220 Speer, recent handloading manuals published by Speer show their maximum load as 33.5 grains for 1781 fps from a 20 inch Marlin 336. Their older manuals went to 35.5 grains of IMR 3031 for 2037 fps, which is a little more respectable. That's 250 fps difference. Before you decide the heavier load is for you, buy a chronograph and make sure the velocity you want is the velocity you are getting through your own gun. The 220 Speer tends to drive up pressures, so best to be conservative, especially if you haven't loaded the .35 before. If you are shooting the 220 Speer at ~1800 fps speeds, almost any other bullet would be a better choice for hunting, since impact velocities are going to get too low for reliable expansion unless ranges are fairly close.

IMR 3031 can heave the 180's and 200's at respectable speed, but you ought to get some experience with with the standard loadings. It's very likely you might decide they are enough for what you are going to use the .35 for.

I'm going kind of "retro" myself and I am duplicating factory load velocities with the 200's lately, most particularly with the Rem. Core-Lokt at around 2000 fps. My longest shot possible is 60-70 yards where I have been hunting the last three years, and my friend Dave has been proving how well the .35 works with 200's at those speeds. The throttle doesn't have to be all the way forward for most hunting, even though I've been trying the 180's/200's/220's at 2300+/2200/2200 fps respectively. Eventually I'll come full circle and settle on the 200's at 2000 as the best way to go for whitetails.

That's no revelation as a lot of guys have been doing just that for years. I just like to try different bullets/velocities to see their effects.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 35rem.

Is there a way to judge pressure of handloads, by velocity and bullet weight or something. I have been handloading for some time and usuallt tend to load my rounds hot, but i have allways wondered what the ballpart pressures might be.

Also, what would be a good temp insensitie powder, H4895? Any others i should consider.

Thanks again.

Safe Journeys,
Greebe

·
Registered
482 Posts
There is no real way to know how much pressure your handloads are making without pressure test equipment. There is a lab that will pressure test for you -- for a fee. Do a search for HP White ballistics lab. Load from a Disk software will often get you close, or so I am told by someone who has used it and pressure tested.

Most concerning is how powder burns and pressure builds. Paco Kelley relates a test using Bullseye in .38 spl. They took a very safe load and started the bullet deeper and deeper in the case. Eventually creating enough pressure to as he put it 'scatter a Python.'

I like upper end loads myself but the practical gain needs to be there.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Ditto what Bman said. There are also strain gauge type measuring devices for sale, but unless you have SAAMI calibrated ammunition they can only tell you pressure in a relative sense-as in, "this load produces more pressure than the factory load" as a comparative measurement.

Hodgdon's entire extruded powder line is advertised as temperature insensitive. Candidates for .35 use would include H322, Varget, H4895, and Benchmark. Their H4198 would work for factory velocity duplication loads with 200's and also with lighter bullets (handgun) used on varmints. Both H4198 and H4227 are good reduced load powders.

Ramshot also promotes their powders (all spherical) as temperature resistant. I understand RL15 is temperature resistant but it is a little too slow for use in the .35.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I just got a ole 336 RC 35Rem. out of layaway yesterday,Seem s like its got alot of history,It was produced in 1957,and is well worn,The ole fellow would owned ti before me would put brads in the buttstock with a picture of what he killed , .From what I understood he got alot more game than he put brads for. thers a 11 brads one broke off , theres 2 bears,3 boars,2 white tail,& 4 Elk.
Heres a couple of pic.

Buckeye

·
Registered
542 Posts
In my research, IMR 3031 is the old standard for 30/30 and .35 Rem
not to mention 45/70. my best accuracy was with 29.5 grns of
3031 with a 170 grn bullet from my 20 inch barrel. I don't mess
around no more with different loads for the 30/30 went thru 3 different
powders, and 4 differrent bullets (Hornady worked the best). Now
I'm at the bench working on powder for the 45/70 with the laser-cast
bullet 405 grn, and 3031. so far I'm really happy with 40 grns.
velocity is around 1400 FPS, thru my 26 inch barrel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've used 36 up to 38 grains of 3031 with 200gr jacketed and 206 grain cast fro many years,,,,,,accurate and deadly on deer. work up your pet load and it will serve u wonderfully.

happy hunting

·
Registered
662 Posts
What 35Remington said in his post.

He and I have posted at length on the .35 and various loads.

IMR3031 is good with the 180 and 200gr bullets.

With your large stock of IMR3031, I would stick with the 200gr Cor-lokt. The 220gr Speer is much better with H4895, and loaded to about 5% above most of the manuals which are very conservative on the loadings for the .35 because of the old autos that are still floating around. The 220 is actually made for the .358wcf and .350RemMag. and tends not to expand from the .35rem unless really spanked hard, as with the H4895 load.

The 36.5g load is my favorite for the IMR3031 w/200gr bullet.

If you want deeper penetration and to stick with the 3031, use the Hornady 200gr RN.

It will penetrate substantially better than either the Remington or Sierra 200gr RN's.

The 180gr Speer is also very good with IMR3031 too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just bought myself a shooting chrony,,,,,My load of 36.5 grains of 3031 pushes my gaschecked 206 grain cast bullet at an avg of 2145 fps. I thought that was pretty good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts