Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my 700 rebarreled to 358Win with a 20" barrel. What are some of your favorite bullets & powders. Favorite deer loads. and loads for something larger say bear or elk.

I was thinking about 200gr hornady psp and 225gr partitions. And for powder h4895 or reloader15.

I was hoping to get around 2500fps with the 200 grainers and 2400 for the 225 grain bullets. Any first hand experance would be handy.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Never had a .358. Had its big brother, the .35 Whelen for a spell. The 225 grain Nosler Partition oughta be good for anything a man might wanna shoot with either cartridge, and would save you the trouble of working up two loads. I mostly shot the Remington CorLokt which were cheap and plenty of bullet for anything not dangerous. Gave the rifle to an Alaskan brother in law who killed some caribou and a moose with 250 grain CorLokt RNs without complaint.

I mostly used IMR 4320 which would work for you, as well. Nothing wrong with your 4895, if that's what you have. Sneaking a look at my manuals, anything between H-322 and IMR 4320 is suitable.

The .358 gives up less than 200 fps to the .35 Whelen so what works in one is likely to work pretty good in the other.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
TJEN
I have a .358 BLR with a 20" BBL. 51 grns of WW 748 powder with the 200 grn Hornady spitzer, CCI large rifle primer, gives me 2360 FPS. Max load in the hornady manual is 53.7 grns. I have never tried increasing this load as it is very accurate and where I deer hunt shots are close. Hope this helps.
Karl

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The old Barnes 225 XFB was one of my favorite "knock-'em-dead" loads in the 358. I'm thinking the new 200 TSX would probably work as well for most things though. The 225 Partition would likely be a very useful multi-purpose bullet for the 358. I like 4320 with the 225 Sierra and I imaigine it would work with the Nosler. Overall I think IMR 4895 is better balanced to the case size and bore of the little 358 and H4895 is right alongside that one.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
There's an article on it this month in American Rifleman, p. 31, by Bryce Towsley. HTH. (PS-shame on you if you ain't in the NRA :wink: ). :D

·
Premium Member
12,012 Posts
A hunting buddy of mine has whacked at least a dozen elk, as well as a few mule deer and the odd black bear with his .358 Browning BLR.

He used the 250 Speer for a while, then transitioned to a 225 grain bullet as I recall. Don't remember which one. That little rifle has filled a lot of freezers...

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Try this site for one fella's opinion on .358 bullets.

http://www.35cal.com./bullets.html

I have had good performance from Speer 225 gr. FN in my .35 Whelen at velocities nearing 2400 fps. It's not my first choice for elk but makes a terrific bullet for anything smaller.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Thanks for the link. I was not too crazy about level of speculation in his stuff. It does seem like he lacks in much good first-hand experience with most of the bullets. The link he has to the Greg Storey stuff at the bottom though is good. Greg is a sometimes poster here and seems to have some considerable credible experience with the 35s. Good stuff.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the informaton everyone. I think I'll load primarialy for deer most likely will load the 200 Spire Point or pointed Core Lokt. If I need a load for black bear or moose I will jump to the 225 Partition. Dose the 225 partition expand quick enough for deer if that is the only game your hunting in the near future?

I was wondering if anyone has loaded the 358 with Reloader 15? In the Whelen Reloader 15 seems to be the ticket. I have not seen any data for the 358 with reloader 15.

I use H4895 for my heavy 35rem loads 200CLRN & 40.5grs = 2180fps and its accurate 3/4" @ 50 yards (336D).

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I recieved a Ruger M77RS 18.5" barrel .358 Win a from a freind. Great lookin, and kinda rare rifle. I got some 225 X laying around just waiting to be packed up. Recon that would put a stompin on any critter. :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
TJEN said:
I was wondering if anyone has loaded the 358 with Reloader 15? In the Whelen Reloader 15 seems to be the ticket. I have not seen any data for the 358 with reloader 15.
Based on published loads for the 358 using RL 12, I have used RL 15 with real heavy bullets: the 280 Swift and 310 Woodleigh. I won't tell you my loads other than to say that I crush powder to get the bullets seated. I don't think a person could get enough RL 15 in the case to cause excess pressure issues. That is my opinion, not a recommendation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts