Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
.358 conversion seems nifty. What kind of chamber pressures would it produce? Reload info says 35,000ish cup is limit for 336 in .35 Rem. but I think the 336 will go more.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 336 will go more, the 356 and 375 have a maximum CUP.of 52,000 and the 358 has a maximum CUP. of 52,000.But the maximum load for the 356 and 375 in my manual show. 41,000 cup for the 375 in a maximum load,And around 46,000 cup for the 356 win. But the 358 maximum load is showing 52,000 cup.The average load for the 358 is showing around 49,000 cup..It seems to me that it is pushing the 336 to its limit.And I would think sooner or later there would be a headspace problem.But I am not sure what pressure the 336 is rated for.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The 356 has a larger case head than the 375 win. Can't tell without having hands on, but if you were to measure the inside of the head, and in fact the 356 were larger, it would reduce bolt thrust enabling higher pressures.

I think.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Had to look it up 'cause I could'nt remember....the larger the inside of the case head, the more bolt thrust....backwards what I posted.....however, it's still imposible to tell without measuring the cases.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jaarhead ED
I am not worried about the 375 or 356,Both of them came out from the factory in the marlin lever-action.It was the 358 that was rechambered in a 336 action that I was wondering about being safe..
http://gunweek.com/2003/feature0301.html This is the one I am talking about......

·
Registered
289 Posts
Whoops.....Reading too fast again. Same principle still aplies though.....if some one can provide measurements bolt thrust is easy to calculate.

Must admit....I wouldn't mind having one in 358.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Now for the rest of the story......

So the gunsmith ran a .358 Win chamber reamer into a 336 Marlin in .35 Rem., opened up the bolt face slightly and that makes it a .358 Win.? NOT!!

There is no mention in the article that factory-loaded, full-power .358 Win. ammo was or could be fed though or fired in that rifle. The fact of the matter is that standard .358 Win. ammo is too long to function in a 336 Marlin without serious, radical alteration to the feed mechanism and ejection port. Also, bullets normally loaded in .358 Win. factory ammo are not acceptable for use in tube-type magazines.

What was in reality created in that gun was a .356 Win. Rimless wildcat!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
What was actually created when you really read the text was a rifle shooting an underweight and undersize bullet down the bore at greater than normal velocities. It would be interesting to see what the 35 would do with the same bullet. Shooting .355 bullets in a .358 barrel and calling it worthy of a magazine article even just because you used a case not normally used in the action seems like a rather "junior high" project. Those boys could have saved themselves a bunch of money simply by pulling bullets out of .22 Shorts and loading them in 223 cases at super velocities. You could call them 223 "shot loads" or something like that. Be pretty effective on snakes maybe.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't even think of checking the COL. of this rifle.I went back and reread it again,I guess I was reading to fast again the first time I read it.I didn't notice the first time that all he had made was a 38 special super mag. as I call it now.I should have paid more attenion when I was reading it.. :oops: :oops: ..And it is a shame he is charging around $300 to do this.To a 336 that was already a good deer round in its own right.
sorry about the mistake...

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I have to admit that we all get excited from time to time about doing something different with a lever rifle. Nice thing is we can have things pointed out to us (good or bad) without having spent the money. That is what is great about a forum like this one lots of experience and willing to share.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts