Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many excellent posts here about various 35 Remington loads for hunting. They sing praise of the Speer 180 grain and 220 grain flat points, and Rem 200 grain Corelokt (and others).

Here's a thought. If the 180 grain .358 flat point is so well-regarded (and I'm not knocking it or being critical) in the 35 Rem, and the 220 grain is good (for more penetration, but may not have enough MV for the 35 Rem, due to the case's powder limitation), wouldn't a Speer 200 grain flat point in .358 cal be sweet?

I've like the higher BC of the Speer 180 and 220 grain bullets, compared to the 200 grain round nose. You'd think a 200 grain Speer flat point would be a marriage of good velocity, improved BC, and be a great "regular bullet" improvement for 35 Rem shooters.

The Hornady 35 Rem Leverevolution has given the 35 Rem a shot of testosterone. Maybe Speer is looking to somehow counter this and provide as slippery (high BC) a bullet as possible that a flat point would allow. Take it one step further, why not a 200 grain .358 cal flat point BOAT TAIL Speer bullet.

I wonder how much weight would be reduced from the 220 grain .358 cal flat point if it was given a boat tail. Maybe it would drop to ~ 210 grains, and be even a slicker bullet for the 35 Rem. Hmmmm?

If Speer doesn't read these threads, someone ought to send it to them.

Sounds like a way to turbocharge the 35 Rem-but admittedly it's not a soft plastic pointy tip.

Still, I'd like to see it.

Comments? Would you buy a Speer .358 cal / 200 (maybe even 210 grain) flat point, possibly boat tail bullet for your 35 Remington?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Same profile as the speers in ether a partion or bonded bullet in 200gr. Do not need the soft pointed tips for shots up to 200 yards. But marketing may require it to convence the average Joe its turbocharged load. 8)

If it is loaded amo it should be at least 2150 from a 20 inch barrel. 8)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I could see Speer and Federal team up to make a factory 200 gr. flat point in the bonded Fussion line. It would sell at a good cost too. Lets all give Federal a shout..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hornady still makes a great 200 grain round nosed bullet with their amazing inter-lock feature. Sierra also makes this weight bullet. Try MIDWAY Shooting Supplies.
Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts