Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is the right forum for this question..but gotta start somewhere..
I was looking for aMarlin 357 but as most of you know they are few and far between or pricey when ya can get em..not saying they aren't worth it..my dilemma is my LGS has several Braztech Taurus Rossi (call em what ya want) in both 357 and 44 mag...and I can get a new Marlin in 44 mag..I already have tons of 38 special ammunition and my thought was to get a 357 and use the 38 for plinking..I wasn't looking at the 44..but they are both pistol rounds..and I think closely priced? what say the more knowlegable folks of the forum concerning 357 vs 44?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
There is no right or wrong answer. the 38/357 is cheaper, easier to find, better on small game. The 357 will take bear in it's heaviest loadings. The 44 has a better reputation on short range elk/moose / bear. One is not better or worse, you need to choose which one better meets your expectations:beerglass:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I made up my mind and bought me a 1894C 357/38sp DOM 2000..bought from original owner who said he has about 50 rounds through her..she is a beauty..he said he bought her for the nice stock wood..I gotta agree.its almost like a walnut burl..
now to find me some 357 ammo..got lots of 38 special...
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun
Wood Shotgun
Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Shotgun Gun accessory
Material property Pen

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
These are cheap for store bought ammo ($24/50), feed reliably in my Rossi carbine and are pretty accurate.

I reload so I don't buy them anymore, but I shot up some of my remaining stock today.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Sounds like you already have a .38spl or .357 handgun with all that ammo already on hand(?), so I would stick to the .357 angle and keep looking, buy a Rossi, or whatever. It's all personal choice, but I like the idea of having a common caliber with a handgun I own if ever getting one, just for fun. Good luck to you.

Reactions: lever addict
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.