Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im wondering how these two compare as far as bullet drop ,killing power, range,etc.i realize the OBVIOUS ,bigger hole cost of ammo etc . lets say i was shooting a coyote would one be about as good as the other. i haven't found the statistics on these two rounds from a rifle thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Properly placed, he .22 mag will work on coyote. the .357 gives far more leeway in event of bad shot placement. The .357 moves up to be good for deer, adequate for black bear and boar, all with proper bullets. Nice thing about the .357 is wide choice of factory ammo, light JHP for varmints, heavy cast bullets ( Fereral cast-core ) for big game, maximum penetration.
Mark

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If you reload, you can pay less for ammo for the 357 than the 22 mag.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
The trajectory are very similar with the 357 mag having about 1700-1800 fps with a 158 grain bullet out a rifle and 22 magnum with 40 grain bullet in a rifle having similarish numbers, both effective out to about 125-150 yards as far as accuracy goes, ofc a 357 magnum bullet out a rifle can kill at MUCH further distance but then we're not talking effective range but rather possible range with lobbing bullets at a target.
Killing power is vastly different though where with a 357 you can go out and ethically kill deer and even black bear at 100 yards or less but with the 22 magnum the biggest thing you should HUNT is dog sized prey, sure you can ofc kill a deer with it and even more than that but it's just not meant for that or even really suitable.
these 2 are among my favorite calibers all time. BOTH extremely versatile.
If you don't reload the price for 50 357 magnum is around 25-30 bucks and box of 100 22 magnum goes for around 15 dollars give or take.
so about 50-60 cents per round for 357 mag and 22 mag 15 cent a round.
I have both and for Coyote both would work very well tbh. It's at the lower end of prey to hunt with the 357 mag and at the higher end for 22 mag.
You prob have to be a little more precise in your shot with the 22 mag but you should be precise with any shot when you're hunting. Shot needs to be in kill zone with any caliber.

If you're interested in the hide/coat or something like that clearly I would go with the 22 mag that will kill it but do less "damage", the 357 mag will blow a tennis ball size hole through a coyote.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I haven't seen 22 mag @ 15/100 in years. More like $15/50, when you can find them. 22 mags have been scarce as hen's teeth around here lately.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,362 Posts
If I am going to choose which gun to carry, that both weigh the same, handle pretty much the same, and are the same size - I'll grab the most gun. Like I always said about hot-rods back in the day - "There is no substitute for cubic inches". There's no substitute for more muzzle energy. AC

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I haven't seen 22 mag @ 15/100 in years. More like $15/50, when you can find them. 22 mags have been scarce as hen's teeth around here lately.
Yeah I might be off on the 22 mag prices since I haven't seen any for a looooong time either.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Ones legal on game in most places, one ain't.

One major mistake folks can make is to underrate the 357 mag in a rifle. I sold all my 35's in favor of it and it has shotshells too.

357 is good stuff, 44 can be better!

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
962 Posts
I like both for different reasons. My first personal rifle purchase I made was a Winchester 9422 in 22 mag. Great gun and I have used it since the 1980's for everything from ground rats to coyote. I got the 22 mag because while fox trapping I had a fox watch me approaching and pull the trap. I put 3 of 5 22lr rounds in him before he stopped with my trap. The 22 mag might be the prefect round for fox. Mine really likes the federal 50 grain loads but it is in semi retirement as it is worth a Small fortune now. I picked up a contender barrel and use it now it prefers the green tipped 33 grain loads and shoots flatter.

I have a 1894 cp on the way but shoot my neighbors 1894 c so much he thinks the gun believes I own it. I
Mainly plink with it but have used 357 mag and max in contender barrels for deer and it hits them Much better than ballistics tables would have you believe.

If given a choice I have a personal preference toward the 22 mag being the 95% of the stuff I hunt will fall to the 22
Mag. I have a 44 mag and 35 rem for deer. I will also admit that the 357 is getting much more Use now that I am hand loading. Just think a 38 special leaves to big a hole in a tree rAt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hate to be a hater.. Buuuut .22 caliber stuff, it's for hunting squirrels and rabbits. .357 mag is cheap and gives you mega options for all sorts of game, and it it has morality on it's side.. Plus you can reload it and carry a real handgun in the same caliber.
Of course my deer round is a big slow 45-70.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey, I'm just trying to talk myself out of buying an 1894 m .they are hard to find and expensive ,i believe the 357 might just do alright .i like a bigger boom anyway.thanks

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Well I have both and have killed yotes with both ,the 357 does it quicker and much better.Also the last 22mag I bought a few months back was $12 for 50 Hornady

·
Registered
157 Posts
Think about .22 ammunition being so scarce compared to the versatility and availibilty of .357 ammuntion. With reloading one can load ammo ranging in-between power from beyond .22 magnum to near .44 magnum performance. That would cover everything from varmits to deer.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
For sheer versatility, the 357 wins hands down. Ballistics are similar to the 30-30 out to 125 yards or so, but both the 357 and 22RM use fairly blunt bullets, so neither has much of an edge in trajectory. But a 125 grain 357 at 2000 fps or a 158 at 1750 will do an awful lot of damage, and with hollow points can be pretty destructive. I guess it depends on what your pointing it at, and if the size of the exit hole matters. For pelts the old Federal 50 grain 22RM was a dandy, I hope they still make it.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Love my wife's 357 lever. I load a 158 grain hard cast round nose flat point over some 2400. Accurate and hits really hard. Head shoot a hog and it blows the head apart. If I put it through the shoulders it is usually a shoot through with the hog down right there. I love the round. Also do some pred control with it, foxes and bobcats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts