Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here chronographed a 180 gr bullet with 15 grains of Lil'gun in a 4 5/8 barrel? I took my Blackhawk out today to try some loads and that is one it really liked. I'm just curious what kind of velocity it has. I know this is somewhtat off topic, but the handguns forum has less traffic than this one and I know a few .357 shooters hang out here....Jerry Lester, Carwi..etc. If you might have the velocities out of a 1894C that would help also.

Thanks!
Augustus

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Augustus,
I can come close. Recently chronographed 1747 fps out of an 1894C:

180 gr home cast FNGC
14.8 gr Lil'gun
CCI 550 priimer
Winchester case

NOT RECOMMENDING THIS LOAD AS SAFE IN ANY GUN BUT MINE.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry :( . I haven't tried the heavy weights with Lil' Gun. From what I've seen it do in the 357 with 158g bullets though, I'm quite sure it'll give you better velocity potential than any other powder in that revolver.

17.5g of Lil' Gun gives me 1400 fps in my 5.5" Blackhawk with 158g SP's. I figure it might bump me up to around 1500 fps with the same bullet, but it'd likely be a compressed load, and heck, 1400 fps is plenty for deer up to 50-60 yards with this bullet.

I'm just making an educated guess here, but I'd say with a maximum load of Lil' Gun, and a 180g bullet, you'd likely be in the area of 1250-1300 fps.

A decent Chrono can be had for less than $100. If you had one, you'd never again be without one. This is a good excuse to sneak one in without her knowing... :lol: :lol: :lol: !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Retro 41, thats pretty fast for a 180, I haven't tried it yet in my 1894c but I will. Accuracy is my main goal, velocity is second. Jerry, I might just "sneak" my way into a divorce court, how do you think I got the Blackhawk?? All kidding aside, it is an investment I should make. I have a few other loads to test but I found out that this gun has a buggered chamber in the cylinder. It is very hard to extract a case from one of the chambers, and after giving it a good cleaning I see it has some serious gouges near the forcing cone. I bought it used, and it was made in '77, so I'm not sure if it someone messed with it or if it came from the factory like that. It shot the Remington 180 with 15 grains of Lil'gun and also some 160 gr hard cast lead with 7.5 grains of Unique both really well. Jerry I tried your load of 7.5 grains of Unique and 125 Remingtons, but didn't have much luck with that one. I'm going to take the Blackhawk to a local gunsmith for his opinion...it may go back to Ruger for repair.

Thanks again,
Augustus

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I can come close. Recently chronographed 1747 fps out of an 1894C:

180 gr home cast FNGC
14.8 gr Lil'gun
CCI 550 priimer
Winchester case

NOT RECOMMENDING THIS LOAD AS SAFE IN ANY GUN BUT MINE.
Sorry for not mentioning the accuracy. All the groups I fired with Lil'gun between 14.5 and 14.8 grains would put four shots in about 1.75" at 50 yards. I stopped with my load progression at 14.8 grains because the gains in velocity with increased powder charge began to diminish and, as you said, 1700 fps with a 180 grain bullet is plenty fast. My findings with Lil'gun powder agree with what Jerry Lester said; in the magnum pistol calibers, it seems to give good velocity without high pressures. I don't know how that is possible but it seems to be the case. I especially like it in the .41 mag. Good luck with the Blackhawk and let us know how she turns out.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Augustus McRae said:
Jerry I tried your load of 7.5 grains of Unique and 125 Remingtons, but didn't have much luck with that one.

Thanks again,
Augustus
Were you using standard, or magnum primers? The standards have never given me good results with light charges of Unique. CCI 550's(magnum) have been the most constistantly accurate for me with these lighter loads.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
14.9 grains of Lil' Gun under 180 grain cast lead got me 1,137 fps average in a 4 inch 686 and 1,703 fps average in an 18.5 inch 1894C.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I had to go back and check this but in my 4" Ruger Speed Six I got about 1179 fps and in my 1894C 1675 fps. Load was 15 gr. Lil'Gun under the 180 gr. Remington SJHP. I would expect slightly higher velocities from cast bullets depending on design (and length of bearing surface).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerry, I was using the Winchester magnum primers. I'll give it another try. That load of 7.5 grains of Unique is lower than the stating loads in my manuals. Do you shoot that much out of your pistols or is it more for your 1894C?

Hobie, that is the same bullet I'm using. Have you killed any critters withit yet? I was wondering how it holds together out of a rifle since it is a hollow point.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think this load should be a thumper if I can get it to shoot well from my 1894C also.

Update on the buggered cylinder....My gunsmith said to send it to Ruger. His opinion is it's a factory problem.

Regards, Augustus

·
Registered
355 Posts
Augustus McRae said:
Jerry, I was using the Winchester magnum primers. I'll give it another try. That load of 7.5 grains of Unique is lower than the stating loads in my manuals. Do you shoot that much out of your pistols or is it more for your 1894C?

Regards, Augustus
I know it's lower than some manuals starting loads, but trust me, it's safe. A lot of sources suggest using 38 special data in 357 cases to keep from running into chamber problems from the shorter 38 cases.

I've used this load for years as my all around rifle load, and nearly as much for my all around Blackhawk load. We're talking tens of thousands through rifles, and revolvers. :)

I'm actually changing that very dependable load for one with just a slightly lower velocity. I'm changing from Unique to 6 grains of Tite Group. This combo is giving me ES's in the single digits from my 1894C, and a muzzle velocity of 1360 fps which is a lot more friendly on a foxes pelt than 1500 fps. Over all accuracy is basicaly identical.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Augustus McRae said:
Hobie, that is the same bullet I'm using. Have you killed any critters withit yet? I was wondering how it holds together out of a rifle since it is a hollow point.
Augustus,

The bullet was designed for these velocities albeit from the .357 Max in a 10" barrel. :wink: I'm thinking it will do fine if I can find something to shoot! Looking for coyotes particularly. Wouldn't you know it, after the bounty was approved, no coyotes! :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got my Blackhawk back from Ruger last Friday. It cost me 50.00 to ship it overnight UPS, some rule about guns sitting on a dock too long or something like that. Anyway, Ruger replaced the buggered cylinder and replaced "internal components as needed". I have no idea what those were, and charged me nothing! Returned shipping was on them also. It made me a happy camper. Hopefully I can get out this afternoon to try it out. Just thought I'd update you guys on how Ruger takes care of it's customers. This gun was made in 1977 and I have no idea how many owner it had before me. Great service!

Regards, Augustus

·
Registered
485 Posts
hope it shoots great & thanks for the update i been looking at ruger pistols i want a auto22 then a single 6 in large cal for deer hunting/plinking & posts like this help make it easier to pic a manufactor :) ,mike243

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike,
I have a Single Six, a 5 1/2" heavy barrel MkII, and the Blackhawk and I'm very pleased with all of them. Ruger makes a tough handgun. I don't think you could go wrong with one.

Regards, Augustus

1 - 15 of 15 Posts