Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
The only experience I have had with micro groove rifling was in a rimfire… but it was the best shooting rimfire I ever owned.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yup. The NEFs of recent years have microgoove in the .357s. My older H&R has conventional rifling.

Nothing wrong with microgroove if you use jacketed bullets. You can even get it to shoot well with cast, but it'll try your patience some. Cast has to be big for caliber and the velocity you can get with good accuracy with plain base bullets is real limited.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My NEF .357 of 2001 has conventional rifling, but i originaly got it as a 30-30 and sent it in for barrel fitting. Don't know if that makes a differance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
:?: hi all i wondered if you could have a 357 rechamered to 35rem or
44mag rechamered to 444 marlin since nef doesn"t make them i would like to
have everyones opinion thanks for your replies deerdown375

G

·
deerdown375 said:
:?: hi all i wondered if you could have a 357 rechamered to 35rem or
44mag rechamered to 444 marlin since nef doesn"t make them i would like to
have everyones opinion thanks for your replies deerdown375
You ever think about changing the 357 to 357 MAXIMUM that would be real simple :!:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
357 Max

Hey Sika,
In response to your question about converting 357 magnum to maximum, there have been several to do it . A lot of them are on this forum. I am sure any questions you have will be answered promptly.
One thing I don't understand about the conversion is, why do you do it if you want to shoot lead at lower velocity ? The only answer I have is that when you ream out your 357 to max, you have control of how much leade or the bullet jump before it hits the rifling, and by doing so gain accuracy with the gun for 357 max. It looks like to me, if the distance to the rifling is too long in the original gun of 357 and it causes accuracy problems, if you lenghten it more, your accuracy gets worse instead of better for 357 mag ammo.
I guess every man has a different opinion, this is mine.

G

·
Re: 357 Max

RiverHawk said:
Hey Sika,
In response to your question about converting 357 magnum to maximum, there have been several to do it . A lot of them are on this forum. I am sure any questions you have will be answered promptly.
One thing I don't understand about the conversion is, why do you do it if you want to shoot lead at lower velocity ? The only answer I have is that when you ream out your 357 to max, you have control of how much leade or the bullet jump before it hits the rifling, and by doing so gain accuracy with the gun for 357 max. It looks like to me, if the distance to the rifling is too long in the original gun of 357 and it causes accuracy problems, if you lenghten it more, your accuracy gets worse instead of better for 357 mag ammo.
I guess every man has a different opinion, this is mine.
Who said anything about lead ? If you go to 357MAX there are 2 or 3 good 180gr jacketed bullets you can use. Nosler makes a 180gr Partition and Hornady makes an excellent 180gr XTP. Had a DAN WESSON in 357MAX and those two bullets worked great in it :!: Just cause I talk about cast bullets a lot don't assume 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
357 max

Sika, I didn't assume that you want to do anything, I meant that several on this forum reamed out their 357 mag to 357 max to shoot lead at lower than normal speed to gain accuracy.
Don't assume that I meant you.

Fire away and fall back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts