Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Previous to posting this, I did a search on the forum, but the search feature provided, couldn't find a previous post on the subject of .357 Maximum.)

I made some interesting observations with my 1894C.

I used an empty .357 Maximum case and a dummy .357 Maximum cartridge of a case with a seated bullet. The OAL of the dummy round is 1.890" with a flat nose bullet. The maximum length specified for a .357 Maximum is 1.990" depending on the bullet type.

It appears that it would be possible to *manually* insert a .357 Maximum cartridge, if the chamber was long enough to accept it. It would probably require removing the barrel to use a reamer to lengthen the chamber by 0.3".

I can insert an *empty* .357 Maximum case manually in the chamber. Of course, it would not seat fully in the chamber, but it was possible for the extactor to remove the empty case, clearing the chamber.

I manually inserted a dummy round through the ejecting port. When extracting, it is too long for the nose of the bullet to clear the chamber by about 0.15". However, I can manually remove it, if I defeat the extractor by exerting a small amount of pressure on the extractor with a flat head screw driver. The breech bolt then continues back and the cartridge can be manually removed.

In summary, if the chamber was deep enough:

1. It appears that a custom cartridge with an over-all length of about 1.74" should clear the chamber for inserting and extracting. This would have a power somewhere between the .357 Magnum and .357 Maximum, but would be relatively easy to hand load for.

2. A .357 Maximum with an OAL of 1.890" should be able to be inserted and *manually* extracted in a single shot mode, by defeating the extractor.

There is a higher pressure to deal with. I don't know what the 1894C can handle the pressure. But it would be interesting to research further.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Greetings
You might experiment with your rifle and long seated bullets (200 grainers or 180's) to determine what the absolute COL your rifle can handle.
Dan Wesson had a cartridge out that the case measured about 1.40 inches (similar to the .454).
Of course you can modify the cartridge stop on the lifter to be able to operate with longer cartridges but it is hard to gain much more than .15 inches. Every thing does have limitations.

·
Registered
567 Posts
HINT:

have you tried to put any of those longer rounds in the mag tube and cycle the rifle?

Even with initial slow timing, its possible that the longer cartridge won't clear the mag tube before the front of the carrier pinches it up against the mag tube outlet.

I can think of about half dozen issues you might have to face in this modification.

Keep us posted cause I think its an interesting task.

..........Widder

..........Widder

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
So ... what is the .357 Maximum advantage?

Reactions: Brocky

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,535 Posts
Consider installing a .357 barrel on a 1894 .44 mag rifle. Rechamber it for .357/.44mag Bain & Davis wildcat. You can significantly increase performance without crossing the 40,000 psi limit. Do a little research online. AC

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Marlin 1894s will handle 40,000 psi by most accounts, but Lyman and other tables suggest 28,000 as the limit for reloading. Factory .44 Mag and .357 Mag run in the 40,000 class (and obviously work in Marlins), but that's with extensive development and quality assurance.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Not to throw cold water on the subject but a net search will show this has been tried many times before with less than stellar results. Most that have tried it stated pretty much the same problems. Very costly and unreliable feeding due to a resulting long lever throw.

Hope you have a good supply of 357 maximum brass because Remington is no longer producing it and Starline states they have no future plans at the moment but will add it to their list and might make a seasonal run if enough requests come in. Just something to keep in mind.

Neumann, since SAAMI is 35,000 psi max for the 357 magnum I don't think you'll find any factory ammo at 40,000 psi. Unless I've got my numbers wrong.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have owned three .357 max rifles, two H&R's and a custom CVA Apex. They shot good and would make a decent 150-200 yard deer rifle. I now only have one H&R left and bought a 336 .35 Rem. Having a lever action in
.357 max is a neat idea but it. Is easier and safer to just get you a 336 . 35 rem. and start shooting. I also have a .357 and .44 lever guns so my bases are now covered.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Randy, I agree.....a lever action 357 maximum would be the cats meow. I to have a H&R 357 maximum and I really enjoy it. Thing about the H&R is the chamber is so long it will take DW 360 cartridge in stock form. As a matter of fact before I had mine chambered for a maximum I took some maximum brass and cut them to 1.45 inches in length and loaded them for the H&R. That extra 0.31 in length over the 357 magnum got me pretty darn close to the maximum power, especially when loading the Ranch Dog 190 grain cast meant for the 35 Remington. Loading that same 190 grain cast ahead of WW296 in the maximum is producing 1964 fps and 1644 fpe at the muzzle. Pretty impressive to me.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Really like my 20" Encore in 357Max. Taken half a dozen deer with it & 180gr SSP's, none have gone far at all. Wish we could use the 35Rem here for deer. (well you can cut the brass down, dumb law)

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
The Max is a great little cartridge, better than the mag, not as strong as the 35 rem which is not as strong as the 356 which is not as stout as the 358 win. which is less than the 35 Whelen, need I go on? All are very good at what they can do, each has one or more that can do more. I enjoy having many cartridges and like playing with them all, just not enough time till I retire. DP

Reactions: Reicher and Brocky

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
Just curious, would it be possible to mate a .357 barrel to a .35 Rem receiver?

No idea why yes or no, just curious...

Brocky

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not to throw cold water on the subject but a net search will show this has been tried many times before with less than stellar results. Most that have tried it stated pretty much the same problems. Very costly and unreliable feeding due to a resulting long lever throw.

Hope you have a good supply of 357 maximum brass because Remington is no longer producing it and Starline states they have no future plans at the moment but will add it to their list and might make a seasonal run if enough requests come in. Just something to keep in mind.

Neumann, since SAAMI is 35,000 psi max for the 357 magnum I don't think you'll find any factory ammo at 40,000 psi. Unless I've got my numbers wrong.
I've got plenty of brass. It's not an issue. Remington produces .357 Maximum every couple of years.

Mike Bellm seems to think there are some being produced very soon.
The Great .357 Remington Maximum Revival

With the exception of the pressure, I don't see much of an issue with getting a Marlin 1894 to work in manual loading, single shot mode. And with the exception of the chamber length, I've already been able to insert and eject and empty .357 Maximum case. With a full length dummy round, the ejector spring engages a little to early, but can be manually defeating. If one tries to get more than manual single shot mode, then feeding from the magazine would be an issue. I wish these 1894 .357's were more plentiful and as cheap as 30/30's, I would mind tearing one apart to re-chamber it. However, I'm sure sight alignment between .357 Magnum and .357 Maximum would be different.

As it is now, I already have a .357 Maximum single shot with my T/C Encore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.