Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In my hunt for higher performance capabilities of the .357 magnum, I'm thinking about a .357 maximum. Can you all help with feedback?

What case is necked down for this? I've never necked down a case, but would be willing to buy a case trimmer, if that's what I need.

Will the cases last as long (if not loaded too hot for their size) as a "normal" case?

Will the resulting cartridge case be "straight-walled" like the .357 magnum so that I can use the same dies (adjusted for the increased length, of course)?

Is there a down-side to this plan of attack?

Thanks for your help,

1x2

·
Premium Member
12,012 Posts
.357 maximum brass is not "necked down" from anything. It is essentially just longer brass. Much like the .357 mag, but longer for more capacity. Not real popular anymore, it was used quite a bit some years ago by the silhouette shooters. Ruger even made a single action revolver for it, briefly in the early 1980's. Believe Dan Wesson still makes a revolver for it. T-C has also made Contender barrels for it.

A standard .357 mag revolver will NOT take the .357 maximum cartridges, they're too long.

Speer's #13 manual lists 158 grain jacketed bullet loads over 2000 fps from a 14" barrel T-C Contender single-shot pistol.

Good, powerful, flat-shooting revolver cartridge. I've had only limited experience with it.

Regards, Guy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Hobie. Nice job on the article. I picked up some MOST useful info, clarifications, and verification.

1x2

·
Registered
957 Posts
You got it all, Hobie. That's as good and as fair an article as anyone could ask for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts