Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contemplating the possibility of re-barreling a 336 in 35 Remington to 357 maximum. I am going to make up some mock-up cases out of 357 brass and some dowel rod to test feeding. figured I'd get some input since I can't be the first to think of this. I welcome all input, but to the "don't ruin a classic" side, I got the rifle very cheap, the only thing I can use it for in Oh. is ground hog and wild hog (if I every get a chance to go), I need straight walled cartridges for deer. BTW already have a 444s with plans for the deer. If anyone would have a couple of brass they would be willing to part with let me know.Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,018 Posts
I don't live/hunt ion Ohio, and don't know the new regs, but something tells me you may NOT be legal with the 444 for Deer, even though it is straight walled.

re: the 357 Maximum conversion............I haven't done any research, but I'm thinking the 1894C (357Mag) may be a better candidate, rather than a 336.

Tom

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just curious, why is Ohio so particular about what you can use on deer? Down here in Missouri it just has to be center fire and you're good to go. Are their deer sporting Kevlar or something?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
i have the max brass but i use it in my 10 inch contender.i think this subject has been covered already but i don't remember why it would not work.might have had something to do with the bolt face there are people with more knowledge then me on here

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Will take some timing and mechanical issues to do it. For instance you'll have to weld up the lifter cartridge stop and most likely work on the shape of the lifter. Bolt face will need to be redone so it will extract the smaller case. You will have to likely get an ejector made for the 336 .44 mag to eject reliably. At that you will have to recut the groove in a taper to meet the case for proper ejection.

I've always wanted to set the bbl back on a .444 and try it for a .445 super mag.

The 1894 Marlin .357 to .357 max is doable but very touchy when running it up to .357 max pressure levels, that I would not do.

Stick with the 336. Good luck with a doable project but.

I always hate saying the Winchester word but a .357 cal 1894 Winchester Carbine would be a better gun to do it to. Easiest is a Handi Rifle.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,535 Posts
Consider having it re bored to .375 Win. or .38-55. That should be all it takes, no mods, no timing work, welding.....Hard straight walled hitters. AC

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swany, am I correct in thinking the 336 action is stronger than the 1894. I know there would be timing issues. As far as the lifter cartridge stop do you know what type/grade of steel the lifter is made of, its a 1969 336. I am very capable of handling the welding side and fitting of parts, I'm a little unclear of exactly how all the timing of the 336 action works, especially the carrier/lifter rocker and what part it plays in the timing. Also what is the safe pressures the 336 action can take on a regular basis of everyday shooting. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Already have the 336, like I said I got it real cheap. Its definitely my project rifle, I'm just collecting info for now. As soon as there's a true project I will definitely post pics in a new thread. Any pics or drawings on the timing works would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't live/hunt ion Ohio, and don't know the new regs, but something tells me you may NOT be legal with the 444 for Deer, even though it is straight walled.

re: the 357 Maximum conversion............I haven't done any research, but I'm thinking the 1894C (357Mag) may be a better candidate, rather than a 336.

Tom

Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson. From ODNR site http://www2.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/ohio-wildlife-council-approves-2014-2015-hunting-regulations Personally I question a couple ( 38 special, 44 Special & 45 ACP) in competent hands and close range I'm sure they would work, but competent hands aren't as common as should be. Just my opinion

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
A .35 Remington chamber can be relined to .357 Maximum. Though it would leave a jump to hit rifling.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Easiest thing would would be 375 winchester

·
Registered
176 Posts
well.. you say 45-70 is legal.. its great deer caliber, when downloaded or w. factory ammo.

38 spl from a rifle barrel is something completely different compared to from a gun barrel. but i still wouldn't use it as a deer round when i can shoot 357 mag. Which brings me to my primary deer round, 357 mag from a marlin 1894c. its a GREAT deer round.. i use ranch dog 175 ish grain bullets on top of lil gun, close to published max loads. Another bullet i hear great stuff about but can't find is remingtons rn 158grn. Its supposed to be THE bullet for hunting w. 357 mag.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an old 80's Rossi 92 SRC in 357 my son is going to use this year and I plan on carrying the 444S. I need to start tracking down some of the Rem. 158's have heard nothing but good on them also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.