Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded several bullets with great success.(so far)
They are Gas check 185 gr lead flat point the leftoverDJ produced.

G

·
Those are great 50 yd. groups. Were they fired with a H & R single shot? And, what sighting arrangement do you use?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steelbanger said:
Those are great 50 yd. groups. Were they fired with a H & R single shot? And, what sighting arrangement do you use?
They were fired with an NEF (H&R) Sb2 357 magnum. The barrel had been reamed to allow shooting the .357 maximum cartridge.
This setup shoots well and it seems to shoot better the more that I shoot.
It shoots .38 spc 148 gr HBWC around 1 inch at 50yds, traveling around 750fps. ( 2.7 gr bullseye)

It has becaome my favorite rifle just because of all the stuff it will shoot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What is your bullet speed for the 180 grain hard cast bullet? I am trying to compare it with a 35 Remington bullet.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taylor said:
What is your bullet speed for the 180 grain hard cast bullet? I am trying to compare it with a 35 Remington bullet.
1100-1180 FPS If memory serves me.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Those are great groups! I've got some 180 cast bullets coming this week and hope to try some loads with H-4227. I've got the same set up w/ a Handi that I reamed myself. I think I'll start with that 18.5 gr load and a few others. I'll keep you posted. :!:

·
Registered
463 Posts
reloaderman said:
Those are great groups! I've got some 180 cast bullets coming this week and hope to try some loads with H-4227. I've got the same set up w/ a Handi that I reamed myself. I think I'll start with that 18.5 gr load and a few others. I'll keep you posted. :!:

I got rained out this week-end! A strange occurance in west Texas!

·
Registered
463 Posts
reloaderman said:
I got rained out this week-end! A strange occurance in west Texas!
I'm going to try again tomorrow!

This is the bullet I'll be testing, with charges of 18-19.5 of H4227, I'll keep you posted! :eek:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well it's been raining on and off all week, so the range was muddy! The 25, 50 and 100 yd range was a swamp! I did get to shoot on the 100/200 yd range @ 100 yds. Kind of a waste of ammo, since I couldn't really test the ammo the way I wanted, but...............it's always fun!
I tried loads of 18 grs to 19.5 of H4227, the 19.0 gr load shows the most promise with a 100 yd group around 3-3 1/2 inches @ 100 yds off some sand bags. Some of the other loads wouldn't group well, with some putting 2 holes an inch apart and the other one 4-5inches away????? It must be me! I'll tell you one thing, those big flat nose bullets really smack the plywood backstop!!!! 38 wadcutters @ 200yds is a gas! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some shooting is better than none. Keep us posted.
If you can get some AA 1680 that would be a good powder to try in the cast bullets.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
6pt-sika said:
RV, you didn't have a stainless Dan Wesson in 357 MAX you traded in Gordonsville a couple years ago?
Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I just noticed the post today. I do shop alot @ the Gordansville store, but I've never owned a Dan Wesson pistol. The only .357 I 've ever had is the NEF rifle.

G

·
I bought a used one there a few years ago and it really shot well with the 180 XTP and the 180 NOSLER PT . I no longer have it thou , it was the only pistol I have ever owned that I could consistently shoot pigs with offhand at 50 yards(silhouette pigs by the way ). Also I have a mold for 215 gr SWC GC that a friend is" lending " me . Didn't have the mold when I still had that pistol but that bullet shoots well in my Marlin 1894CP and 1894 Cowboy. The Cowboy came from Gordonsville and the CP came from Terrapin's :D :D Good luck with your MAX :!: :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well the deer season is upon us, here in Texas. The 357 Max is giving me fits...............I can't seem to get my groups down to 3-4 inches @ 100yds ........this is my goal ( also needed to place the bullet where I want it ). I'm going out this week end and it looks like the 30-40 Krag gets the call again. It's shooting 150 gr pills REALLY well. My last 5 shot group was about 1.5 inches w/3 of bullets touching! Hopefully I'll get lucky, but just being "out there" is realy all I want! :lol:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
reloaderman said:
Well the deer season is upon us, here in Texas. The 357 Max is giving me fits...............I can't seem to get my groups down to 3-4 inches @ 100yds ........this is my goal ( also needed to place the bullet where I want it ). I'm going out this week end and it looks like the 30-40 Krag gets the call again. It's shooting 150 gr pills REALLY well. My last 5 shot group was about 1.5 inches w/3 of bullets touching! Hopefully I'll get lucky, but just being "out there" is realy all I want! :lol:

I would try those 180gr xtps over 18.5 grs of W296 set at the deepest canelure, primed with a Rem 7-1/2 in an RP case, and heavy roll crimp. That is what my Max likes during cooler weather. Shoots under an inch at 50 yards. My dad is hunting in the morning with this load if Mom is feeling better. I'll report the details as they occur.

Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts