Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you consider a 180 grain hard cast gas check bullet with 17.6 grains of H110 and CCI mag small pistol primer too much for a 357 Marlin rifle? I saw this load on another forum.

G

·
I would consider anything around 15.0grns and up in the be very careful zone. Just guessing, I don't think the cases would last very long and why do it in the first place? BM

Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts
Taylor
The only thing I could find on the 180 gr. bullet with H110 was in my lee manual.show H110 at a maximum of 13.5 gr. and that load shows 37600 CUP. I hope this helps you.......

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Yes. I consider that load excessive for use in a Marlin 1894.

If I may recommend, work up to 14.9 grains of Lil" Gun under your 180 grain cast. That load makes 1,703 fps average in my rifle.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Taylor said:
Do you consider a 180 grain hard cast gas check bullet with 17.6 grains of H110 and CCI mag small pistol primer too much for a 357 Marlin rifle? I saw this load on another forum.
That looks more like a .357 Maximum load to me. I'd use a small rifle primer, though

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried the load. There were no pressure signs, no sticky cases, and they grouped well. I did not have a chronograph to check speed, but I will next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts