Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
I use .357 for about everything and have carried it for Hog. I can do my part and I am comfortable. I just use 180gr hardcasts loaded up hot. I'm actually hopin to take one with my Ranch Hand now.

The thread should read 357 with a good shot to the vitals.. shot placement is the absolute #1 for hunting, that said will 357 work.. Damb right it will

I hunted 5 years with a 357 in the Marlin 1894. I used ppu 158 jhp and had complete penetration on every deer I shot during that time shots from 35 yards to 90ish. I shot 3 does & 2 bucks including the biggest buck I've ever seen in the woods.

I'd show you a picture of him but I took a neck shot on him at 35 yards, he stumbled and recovered and I tracked blood for 70 yards and never recovered him despite looking for days with the help of friends and dogs, He was truly a buck of a lifetime. That experience soured me on the cartridge and rifle and I went back to actual rifle cartridges. All other deer were body shots and ran between 40 yards & 120. Some where shot with different ammo with little difference and the ppu jhp were the most effective

Now that it's been 4 years and I've played the moment over in my mind a million times I realize I hit him in the fleshy part of the neck just below his bone, his neck was swollen from rut & I screwed up. I won't lie I was extremely nervous when I shot and I don't get nervous shooting deer but he was that nice. I said all that to say this... The 357 mag works fine if you're selective about your bullet e where you put it, if not then I'd go to something bigger. Just my personal experience

I know some of you use the .45-70 for deer but it just seems like so much overkill (no pun intended). Bear, Moose, Caribou, OK but .45-70 just seems like way too much to me.

I would have no problem using either of my 1894's - -
1894SS .45 Long Colt on top (only full length barreled Marlin in .45LC ever made) ,
1894SS .44 Magnum Middle,
1894CSS .357 Magnum Bottom.

By the way it is legal to shoot deer in North Carolina with .22 Long Rifle . . . . . . we have sooooo many of them the Wildlife Commission just wants them taken . . .

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.