Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Bearcat, I have one of the Guide's choice holsters for my .44. Great setup.

I use a GunfightersInc Kenai chest holster for both the Super and Rowland.

I find that method of carry less tiring than a waist carry, especially if the weapon has a little weight.
I really like the looks of the Kenai setup. I saw a vision where a Glock 40 with a Burris FF3 will soon need to be bought and then housed with the Kenai.

Im psychic when it comes to these things.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Something to think about, if you only have the chance to get off one shot at that big, angry, hairy thing coming at you like a freight train, that one shot better not be a load of #9's.
Sounds like my neighbors wife is out in the woods attacking hunters.
I thought she only went after him.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
My woods gun is a Ruger Service 6 in .357. Why? Because it is what I have and I like .357's revolvers.

IMG_20151219_140432903.jpg

I do carry my Kahr CT .380 when I am backpacking. More for "I am hurt come and find me" than critter control. I backpack in places without cell reception and some of the places like Baxter State Park do not allow you carry.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
When it comes to a backup pistol for the woods I still prefer to stick to the "Bigger is better" philosophy. When fishing in Alaska lots of folks like to pack their 44 mag short barreled revolver as a backup. I go with my Std 6in 454 Casull or my 500 Linebaugh. I don't mind the slightly bigger pistol if it will be my last ditch to save my butt in an emergency. And more important----practice with the stout loads and make sure you can hit with it.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I think there are many “right” answers depending on your personal preferences and what you might need to put down. Here in the woods of Central NYS, I mostly carry my AMT Backup 380( I have killed a coyote with it) when cutting wood and doing trail work. If I needed black bear protection it would be a 357 or 44 mag. revolver( only because I am a revolver guy). After a few trips to Alaska, where the bears are grizzly, a 44 mag. would be the minimum and something bigger would be even better. If I am looking to shoot some small critters to eat then my Ruger Mk. 1 would be with me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
976AA7D4-B90A-4395-9BF7-0438D60831FD.jpeg
I carry a Rock Island tac2 10mm! I was skeptical, had gone through 2 glocks and hundreds of dollars in mods to shoot heavy Underwood 200 and 220 hog killers. Let me tell you I believe! The Rock 1911 is a fantastic woods weapon! Eats every round, hot or light, I’ve fed it! Extremely accurate out of the box and it stays locked and cocked in a thumb break holster with mags full of Underwood 200xtp and 220 gas checked lead flat points. I trust my life to its hog killing power. Plus it reloads 8 more very quickly!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here in Ohio there isn't much a 45 acp won't take care of. We do have a few black bears, but after 50 years of hunting I have never seen one in the woods. So normally that is what I carry. However I do have a Glock 40 10mm that feels real good on my belt.

Jim

Reactions: 1022

·
Premium Member
10,535 Posts
I had a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 7.5” for years. I really liked it but always felt the maneuverability to be limited due to weight and length. I just switched to a Glock 10mm. It handles well, can get two shots off faster than 44 mag due to recoil. I was very pleased with my first shooting range trip (2 weeks ago) regarding accuracy right out of the box. I have a black bear hunt in NC this Fall and plan for it to be my back up gun. It would not be my first one to go to for Grizzly but it is rare that I would be in Grizzly country. I plan to use BB hard cast bullets for it.
Carolina Man,

Do a bit of research on using lead bullets in the Glock's polygonal rifling.............

Tom

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Premium Member
10,535 Posts
My woods gun is a Ruger Service 6 in .357. Why? Because it is what I have and I like .357's revolvers.

View attachment 761345

I do carry my Kahr CT .380 when I am backpacking. More for "I am hurt come and find me" than critter control. I backpack in places without cell reception and some of the places like Baxter State Park do not allow you carry.
I guess they get a lot of "Vacationing Yahoo's" with New Big Gun Rigs, doing the Deliverance thing, huh?.................:stupido3:

Tom

Reactions: Maineiac and 1022

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Glocks can handle hardcast provided they fit the barrel and aren’t the old super soft swaged stuff.

Probably a good good idea to run a brush down the barrel every now and then.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=59

that said I dropped and after market barrel in mine for the simple fact it shot better. Mine is an old Gen 2 with a poorly supported chamber, something they fixed in the later Gen Glocks. I got smilies on my brass with loads going under 1000fps. I bought a new barrel and a 22lb recoil spring and all issues went away.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well gentlemen thanks for all the replies, I think I have decided to go with the 357 as my tag along woods gun.

Several reasons have came up, 1, since I already have half dozen or so 357s, 2, you can shoot 38 specials as well, 3, you can carry snake shot as well as lead, 4, I have a nice little 357 mag lever gun, 5, I really like my old Ruger I've been carrying around almost 50 years... 1561651958318.jpeg ....But I may still buy a 10mm......................................just cause I can................

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Well gentlemen thanks for all the replies, I think I have decided to go with the 357 as my tag along woods gun.

Several reasons have came up, 1, since I already have half dozen or so 357s, 2, you can shoot 38 specials as well, 3, you can carry snake shot as well as lead, 4, I have a nice little 357 mag lever gun, 5, I really like my old Ruger I've been carrying around almost 50 years... View attachment 761507 ....But I may still buy a 10mm......................................just cause I can................

I like this 4 5/8” model Rugers.

I do do a free spin pawl mod and smooth up the internals. Makes for a nice setup.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am a little late to the conversation but I will add one last comment in favor of the .357, ammo availability. I am old enough to know that not all small towns where I grew up, Wyoming, had the latest and greatest selection of ammo, and as I did one year hunting forgot/lost the ammo for my .338. (long story) Fortunately, I had my .308 backup and could easily find ammo for it. I know the 10mm is not that exotic but the gun shop in Meeteetse, WY may not have it.

Reactions: 1022
41 - 57 of 57 Posts