Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Hi Ranch Dog, have a few questions. I am fairly green at hand loading, been at it a little over a year and load for my 45 Colt revolver and an 1894 as well as for the 45/70. So far with the 45 Colt I have been just roll crimping with the regular Lee die and cast bullets, lightly loaded with Unique and Trail Boss for plinking and targets. What would I gain by crimping with the FCD over what I am doing now? I have always figured a heavy crimp would be good with warm loads, especially with the revolver where the tendency is for the bullet to pull out away from the crimp groove. Is there any other advantages over the roll crimp, in either the lever or revolver, such as a more even gripping of the bullet to the case? I read quite a bit, and at times I confuse myself! Anyway, think I might be in the market at some time for a modified LFCD when I start loading my own heavy lead for bear defense.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I ordered one for my 44 mag 1894CB yesterday. The problem I am trying to solve is not based on my load having a Bear Killing bullet, but, on the fact that I am using a cast bullet sized to .432 Diameter to best work in my Marlin Lever Gun. My standard Lee Pistol Crimping die has a second ring (sizing ring) in it to make sure my pistol cartridges will all fit into a pistol. It is below the crimper. It results in my .432 ranch dogs being squished down (resized) to about .430. This is great for my ruger blackhawk (which needs a .430), but, defeats my deliberate sizing at .432 for my Marlin.

If you are using Redding or RCBS crimping dies, this is no problem. If you are using jacketed bullets or cast bullets sized at caliber you will have no problem. It does affect those of us using Lee Deluxe Pistol dies on oversized cast bullets.

Ranch Dog, if I have said this wrong, please correct me.

thanks rc

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
RHOUSER said:
I ordered one for my 44 mag 1894CB yesterday. The problem I am trying to solve is not based on my load having a Bear Killing bullet, but, on the fact that I am using a cast bullet sized to .432 Diameter to best work in my Marlin Lever Gun. My standard Lee Pistol Crimping die has a second ring (sizing ring) in it to make sure my pistol cartridges will all fit into a pistol. It is below the crimper. It results in my .432 ranch dogs being squished down (resized) to about .430. This is great for my ruger blackhawk (which needs a .430), but, defeats my deliberate sizing at .432 for my Marlin.

If you are using Redding or RCBS crimping dies, this is no problem. If you are using jacketed bullets or cast bullets sized at caliber you will have no problem. It does affect those of us using Lee Deluxe Pistol dies on oversized cast bullets.

Ranch Dog, if I have said this wrong, please correct me.

thanks rc
My Lee dies don't say anything about being "Deluxe Pistol Dies", so am not sure I have the same. They are just the regular carbide die set. I checked a few bullet diameters on my loaded rounds and they measure .452, which is what they were ordered sized to. Now I am not sure that the part of the bullet seated inside the case hasn't been sized down by the die as I don't have a bullet puller. Then again, .452 is pretty close to the spec size for 45 Colt whereas .432 is considerably larger than the standard .429

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The FCDs in the Lee dies set are the Carbide FCD with the carbide sizing ring at the base of the die. Lee only offers one true collet type of pistol FCD and that is their new Bottle Necked Pistol Cartridge FCD.

I've made a very detailed analysis of each 1894 and have met their bullet needs in my offerings. Most shooters do not look beyond bore/groove diameter but if you don't address the throat diameter, your rifle will never live up to it's cast bullet accuracy potential. My measured results indicate the following diameter for the bullet:

357 Mag - .359"
41 Mag - .411"
44 Mag - .432"
45 Colt - .454"

Nose profile is just as important as diameter in that the bullet nose needs to match the angle used in the freebore or throat. The sizing ring in the Lee Carbide FCD will shave all this hard work right off the bullet. The Lee Carbide FCD is made for jacketed bullets.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Ranch Dog said:
The FCDs in the Lee dies set are the Carbide FCD with the carbide sizing ring at the base of the die. Lee only offers one true collet type of pistol FCD and that is their new Bottle Necked Pistol Cartridge FCD.

I've made a very detailed analysis of each 1894 and have met their bullet needs in my offerings. Most shooters do not look beyond bore/groove diameter but if you don't address the throat diameter, your rifle will never live up to it's cast bullet accuracy potential. My measured results indicate the following diameter for the bullet:

357 Mag - .359"
41 Mag - .411"
44 Mag - .432"
45 Colt - .454"

Nose profile is just as important as diameter in that the bullet nose needs to match the angle used in the freebore or throat. The sizing ring in the Lee Carbide FCD will shave all this hard work right off the bullet. The Lee Carbide FCD is made for jacketed bullets.
So to clarify, my Micro Groove 45 Colt barrel slugged at around .451, or maybe a tad less. Are you saying that I should bump up the size of my cast bullets to .454 to match the throat? Right now I haven't been able to get all that great accuracy from this gun, and while I get very little if any leading I sure would like to see my groups tighten some..
So I placed an order for the 45 Colt FCD this morning from you. :)

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Michael, you're fast!

I placed my order for a 357 FCD on Thursday at 9:52 am Pacific time, and I already have an email saying it's in the mail!

WOW !!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to it...

Thanks again.
Ed

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eaglesnest said:
So to clarify, my Micro Groove 45 Colt barrel slugged at around .451, or maybe a tad less. Are you saying that I should bump up the size of my cast bullets to .454 to match the throat? Right now I haven't been able to get all that great accuracy from this gun, and while I get very little if any leading I sure would like to see my groups tighten some..
So I placed an order for the 45 Colt FCD this morning from you. :)
Your FCD went out today.

If you accuracy is not acceptable I would sure look at least a .453" bullet. My 1894S chamber drawings are on my web site and these dimensions mirrors the other 45 Colts I've looked at.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Ranch Dog said:
Your FCD went out today.

If you accuracy is not acceptable I would sure look at least a .453" bullet. My 1894S chamber drawings are on my web site and these dimensions mirrors the other 45 Colts I've looked at.
Now thats what I call fast service! ;D I really appreciate that you offer USPS shipping too as Fedex and UPS really rakes us over the coals out here in the boonies.. :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used mine today for my .357 lead hand loads, it works beautifully! I used my lee four hole turret to reload, and used the Ranch Dog Lee FCD on a separate press for the final crimp. I'm a happy customer. :) :)

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Old Goat Keeper said:
Michael when do you expect to have the 45 LCD back in stock? Do you do back orders?

T-o-m who needs both a 41 and a 45 FCD
The honest answer Tom is that I do not know in that this is a new product and I do not have a reorder history to draw from. The initial order took four months to fill but Lee had to tool up to produce the dies. Right now I'm guessing half that so about mid October. I do not work with back-orders because of the unpredictable and lengthy restock times. What I'm trying to do is figure out what it takes to always have a particular product in stock.

There is no danger in the 41 Mag FCD selling out as items for that cartridge move very slow. Sign up of the 45 Colt FCD "Back In Stock" notification and purchase as soon as you receive the email.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Old Goat Keeper said:
Michael when do you expect to have the 45 LCD back in stock? Do you do back orders?

T-o-m who needs both a 41 and a 45 FCD
Hey Old Goat... that's fun to say!

I was working with Lee today and they wanted to know if I wanted the 30 extra of each dies that they cut. They will be on the way tomorrow and in my store in about a week. As I said in the above post, sign up for the "BISN" and you will be good to go! I sold more than that in two days but the initial surge over.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I think I might be a lil thick headed ???

If I'm using a RCBS die to seat and crimp will I have the same problem? Do I need the LEE FCD to crimp my .454 and my .432 cast lead bullets that I havent even bought the molds for yet? ;D

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you are using a bullet seating die, adjusted properly, to provide the crimp, you are fine. The Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die has a carbide sizing ring in the base of the die that will reduce the size of an over-diameter cast bullet.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Ranch Dog. I'll be ordering some molds soon for .45LC, .44mag, .45-70, .30-30 .. that should keep me busy for awhile. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts