Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Has anyone tried the Speer 170gr GDSP bullet from their Marlin .357mag yet? I plan on reloading some for deer hunting in thick woods to 50 yards.
Would this bullet be good for large deer? Which powder would be better to use H110 or 2400. I have checked the Speer website and read the load data/bullet write up for this bullet and it looks like a great hunting bullet.

Best Regards,
MickeyJr

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 170gr bullets should be fine for deer hunting as long as you keep your shots <75yds or so. As with anything else, shot placement is the key. Most 1984C`s seem to like heavier bullets anyway and if you work up a good load with the 170gr bullets and it looks good on the chrony, they should drop like the proverbial rock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I started messing with them but didn't get to keep on. I will get back to them in the fall. I shot some factory loads out of my Marlin Cowboy and they ran about 1760 fps. My 357 rifle buddy has been shooting some Speer factory stuff lately and it has been super consistent ammo with real small standard deviation in velocity. I am going to try to bag a deer or two with the 170 this year.

G

·
I tried the 170 GDSP, and really like the idea of it from my 1894; but I didn't pursue it beyond the first box of a hundred cause I couldn't get it to group as well as my prefered bullet in this gun, the XTP FP in 158 gr.--hands down most accurate I've shot. 2000 fps over 18 grains of 'Lil gun and one MOA if I take my time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts