Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings and Salutations!
I have heard of hunters using carbines chambered for .357 Magnum with much success on whitetail deer. For those of you that fall in to this category.............

1) Do you use factory ammo? If so, what type?

2) Is this strictly a 100 yard or less proposition?

3) Shot placement?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Roundsworth,

Wait till Jerry Lester reads and responds to your questions. I think he's probably got about as much experience with .357's and (whitetail) deer as any one I know. He's pretty fond of his reloads using plain old Remington 158 grain jacketed solid point bullets, I think, but best of all, he's got lots of actual hands-on hunting experience with this cartridge for deer. He'll be around sooner or later. If ya don't hear from him soon, send him a PM and see what happens.

I'd tell you that there is satisfactory factory ammo for whitetail deer in this caliber. I'd say that unless you are a very confident and competent shooter, a hundred yards would be about maximum for it (and then for selected shots), and 75 yards would be much better for this cartridge. Again, Jerry'll be able to give you an experienced answer about that.

If you can deliver any round from any caliber capable of sufficient penetration upon impact to pass through the heart area of a whitetail, then you'll have a dead deer. Unless you are a good enough shot to place that bullet between a couple of ribs, then that bullet will likely have to penetrate some bone on the way into the boiler room. Of course, point of entry will make some difference here. You want your ammo to do the job under the most difficult circumstances, and then you'll be good for any of them. Jerry should be able to specifically answer your questions.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Pudge hit the nail on the head. Jerry Lester is THE man when it comes to hunting experience with the .357 mag. Until he shows up:

I've taken one buck with the .357 in a revolver and the wife took a fat doe with her 1894 last season. I've been handloading that caliber for about 30 years. I would call it adequate at ranges under 100 yards out of the longer barrel of a rifle. Shot placement is always important, even more so if hollowpoint bullets are used since they go to pieces on bone and come up short on penetration. They will work IF shots are limited to broadside or slightly angling away shots so the bullet can be placed with precision into the chest cavity without having to plow through much in the way of bone. Very akin to the kind of shot you'd look for while using a bow. I'm certain Jerry Lester will agree that a jacketed soft point bullet of 158 grains is a better choice and will penetrate better than a hollow point. I haven't used the Nosler 180 grain Partition but would consider it if handloading. Either of those bullets should get through shoulder and rib bones easily. I've been playing with 180 grain home cast bullets for the wife's rifle and they look very promising, getting some nice groups at about 1800 fps. That's what she'll be shooting next deer season. Out of a revolver, I'd recommend the .357 only for experienced pistoleers who can place shots with great accuracy, have the patience to limit shots to about 40 yds.. and the willingness to pass up shots that aren't just right. The .357 mag is downright amazing in its performance on deer sized game out of a rifle where 1700 to 1800 fps velocity really makes pistol bullets, designed for 1200 fps, rip and tear. Up until last year, the wife preferred a .308. She now has a new favorite deer rifle in the .357.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What powder do you use for those velocities?

·
Registered
360 Posts
.357 will work on deer. Its not the ideal cartridge, but with good shot placement, and an adequate load, it will take a deer.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Like the others said, the 357 magnum in a rifle, or revolver is perfectly suited for short range deer hunting. I've killed 9 with my 357 Blackhawk, and I've killed considerably :wink: more than that with a 357 rifle.

I could write a very long post here about all the different bullet/load combo's I've killed them with that worked from so-so great, but honestly, you'll just need one load.

Like they mentioned above, I'm quite settled on the fact that a tough 158g SP is the hands down best balanced performer on deer sized game. I load the Remington bulk 158g SP's at 1400 fps in my Blackhawk, and around 1700-1800 fps in my rifle. With this combo, you get a maximum range of around 50-60 yards from the revolver, and about 100 yards from the rifle. I've killed them cleanly at ranges of 120-150 yards, but with the loss in velocity, you have to deal with FMJ performance from a tough bullet, or go with a HP for a clean kill, and make certain you get a perfect broadside hit.

The best bet is to use your rifle within the limits it works best in which is up to 100 yards. With a 158g SP(Remingtons are "THE" best), and a starting velocity of around 1700-1800 fps, you'll get great peformance with any reasonably sensible shot angle. Any full house 158g SP factory load like Remingtons, Winchesters, Mag-Tech, etc. will give you plenty of peformance within 100 yards if you're not a handloader.

If you're planning on taking butt shots or other less than normal angles, then the 357 magnum will definately not please you. If you're a hunter who waits for the angles you want, then the 357 will serve you as well as any other caliber you've ever used. My favorite shot is a quartering towards me shoulder shot. I like to take out the facing shoulder, and exit just behind the off shoulder. The 357(with a proper load) will often drop them in their tracks with this shot, and even if it doesn't, you're looking at about a 20-50 yards tracking job at most with a huge blood trail.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the excellent info! I read an article a few years back about the 357 and deer hunting, but never really considered using it until now. Where I hunt, wide open spaces of 100 yards or more are few and far between. I spend most of my time in the woods sitting and waiting for the ideal shot. Thanks again for your responses!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Lil'gun powder gives me 1750 fps with a 180 cast bullet out of an 1894C. 296 gives a bit over 1570 fps with the same bullet. H4227 recently gave a 1.1" five shot group at 50 yards but the velocity was just 1250 out of the rifle. Nice plinking load.

·
Registered
186 Posts
41Retro said:
Lil'gun powder gives me 1750 fps with a 180 cast bullet out of an 1894C. 296 gives a bit over 1570 fps with the same bullet. H4227 recently gave a 1.1" five shot group at 50 yards but the velocity was just 1250 out of the rifle. Nice plinking load.
Thanks 41 and others! I've already got 1000 158 grain Remington JSPs, looks like I ought to buy some Lil'gun if I decide to use my 1894 for deer.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Lil Gun is rapidly becoming THE powder to try in the magnum pistol rounds, unmatched velocity with similar charge weights. Plus, it meters VERY well. Hard not to love a powder with all that going for it. But all guns are different, my 1894 just didn't like it, so I kept looking. Other suitable powders include WW296, H-110, 2400, AA-9, IMR-4227, Blue Dot, AA-7, there are plenty to choose from, and I've never even had a chance to try the imported ones. Handloaders have it better than we ever have!

PJ

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am going to be usng a ruger .357 gp100 for wihitetalils within normal compound bow range. Many have killed deer this way. THe bullets i will use are einchester super x 158 grn soft points. I am confident within 25 yds with it. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got the bug

Hi fellas, new guy here.
After hanging out here for several months, I've finally taken the bait and ordered an 1894C .357. Seems there aren't any to be had and have been told everyone is waiting on "Marlin". So while thats disapointing, deer season is a few months off yet, so theres' still hope. Experienced my first deer hunting last year in norther Wisconsin and on the recommendation of friends arrived with a Savage 30-06. Its a nice rifle and I like it but...... seems to me, in the thick woods, I never had a 50 yard view much less 100 plus. Likewise, in such short distances the scope was not needed and maybe even a hinderance. This began my search for a lever action and having found this forum.....have taken the bait. With a comparable weight bullet, why do I need 2300fps, when I can't see beyond 50 yards anyway? and if I can't see it...well, not much ponit in pulling the trigger is there. Anyway, while I"m taking a fair amount of flack from the camp members, I'm placing my faith in you guys and my 1894C and a 158gr JSP for the comming season, provided Marlin gets with the program. Thanks for all the great info

·
Registered
473 Posts
Pasquinell, Don't give up on a 1894c. Go to gunbroker.com or auctionarms there are a few there. You can buy it and have it shipped to a ffl holder near you. Make arangements with your local ffl in advance. Most charge 15-25$ to do the paperwork. Just a thought. Byron :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
It took a little more than 5 weeks to get mine thru WalMart.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the "ship to" idea, I really didn't think this was going to turn out to be such a problem. Wally World was one of three retailers I'd gone to....each telling me their suppliers were out and no dates as to when they'd be getting anymore. Ended up putting 1/2 down with an open ended delivery date from Gander Mountain. But I may search those sights and make those arrangements. GM wanted $449 for it, claiming the Winchester closure had caused a run on all lever actions, of which he had one left he'd sell me for $600 in a model I didn't want. Anyway, thanks for the alternative I did look at Gallery of Guns for another source but no luck there either .....I may try GunsAmerica or GunBroker :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Pasquinell said:
Thanks for the "ship to" idea, I really didn't think this was going to turn out to be such a problem. Wally World was one of three retailers I'd gone to....each telling me their suppliers were out and no dates as to when they'd be getting anymore. Ended up putting 1/2 down with an open ended delivery date from Gander Mountain. But I may search those sights and make those arrangements. GM wanted $449 for it, claiming the Winchester closure had caused a run on all lever actions, of which he had one left he'd sell me for $600 in a model I didn't want. Anyway, thanks for the alternative I did look at Gallery of Guns for another source but no luck there either .....I may try GunsAmerica or GunBroker :D
If you'd like, I can check with a local dealer here. He's always been very consistant at finding exactly what I want, and doing it fast, at a reasonable price to boot. I've actually helped put together deals between him, and several fellows on the net before. Just let me know here, and I'll check with him Monday, or you're welcome to call him yourself. If you want his number let me know, and I'll PM it to you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Inventory shortage !

Thanks Jerry, I'd really appreciate it, BTW GunBroker shows zero, GunsAmerica vendor emailed me with the same answer.... zero. Seems theres been a run on that sweet lil gun. So, if you could check for me I'd appreciate it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is the same. Incidentally, in a way this is largely your fault...lol... it was by reading your posts that convinced me of the logic behind my strategy for next seasons deer.... short distances...comparable weight bullets etc. couple with alot of sitting and waiting (sleeping) in the woods. After all its the hunt, not the kill. Seems you and I nave another thing in common. I'll pm ya regarding that story. Anyway, Thanks... go ahead and check for me, but as I say.. the answer will probably be the same. Still, I can't believe Marlin would simply stop making 'em and I do have 5 months for them to refill the pipline.

tom

·
Registered
473 Posts
Pasquinell, I wanted a 1894cp and advertized that in this forum. It was only about a week before someone answered my ad and now I have my cp.

Perhaphs someone will be willing to part with a 1894c if you post and ad for one. Just a thought. Byron :D

·
Registered
473 Posts
Pasquinell, just did a search on www.gunbroker.com and they have a NIB one listed. Item # 49707369. They also have several older ones with micro-grove barrels. Regards, Byron :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the tip PastorP! I learned through another source that expected delivery is early June, so I sorta stopped looking for the time being, as thats not that far off. Even though this will be my first Marlin, and as i've said earlier, I am convinced the little .357 will do me fine for my kind of hunting, and I am eager to get my hands on it. Bought a little snubbie to be a little brother and an assortment of ammo.... so I'm just waitin' for now. This forum continues to be a valuable resource of information. Thanks :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts